How To Turn A Drawer Into A Pumpkin

$3

I love when I can make a project using things that I either have on hand, or can get pretty easily. I had these kitchen drawers sitting around since I bought them from a building supply company for just $2 each. Halloween is on it's way, so I figured I could use them to make some cute spooky decor. Here we go!

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

First you'll want to remove all of the hardware and glides from the drawers. Any size drawer works!

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

I will use them in the up right position.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

Next I printed out some spooky faces I'll use for these Jack-o'-lanterns.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

Then just take a pencil and trace around the face features and make sure to press down heavily with your pencil.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

Then flip it over face down on the drawer in the place you'd like the face to be, and press firmly on the pencil and trace it again.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

Now when you pick up the image, you'll see that you traced it on the drawer.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

Then it's time to cut out the features.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

First drill some holes so you can get your jig saw blade in the hole to cut out features.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

I used a T blade 20 so it did not wreck the wood which is a finer cut.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

Once it's cut, it's ready to be painted.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

I used a bright orange and brushed the paint all over the drawer.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

Once the whole drawer is fully covered in paint, you can add a cute stem. I used a scrap piece of wood and wrapped twine around it and added some Dollar store leaves and ribbon.

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

Here is is finished and looking adorable! It only cost me $3 to make, what do you think?

how to turn a drawer into a pumpkin

And here are some other cute ones I made! I hope this inspires you to make these this season.

Check out more of what I do on my Facebook page- Gilbert Marketplace

• Cindy Ptak

It seems the tops are not the original drawer facings? They are adorable, but bigger than they would be if only using the drawer - I think. Either way, I love this idea!

• Stephanie

I have several drawers that I have picked up around my neighborhood on trash collection day just waiting for the PERFECT project...almost all of my drawers have faces/tops that are much larger then the drawer, with the exception of a couple very thin drawer the faces/tops are fairly large ,so I don't think she made any changes ..I'm so excited about this project and can't wait to get started ...thank u!!!

• Linda

I love your finished product but why not use carbon paper and eliminate a few steps?

• Anna Ibarra

You know I would have gone this method also. And would have forgotten I actually have some carbon paper. 🤪

• Vivian Kelly

If using outside, how about some solar back lighting?

• Jackie Angus

Wouldn’t you know it just last week a person down the street threw away a kitchen stand with a wide top drawer, sure wish I knew about this last week! Love this idea.

• Carol Harris
    8 hours ago

thanks for the cute idea, I have an old drawer, just couldn't decide what to do with it, now I know. Will be so cute by the front door, with a battery candle behind it.