Can you help me ID this flower, and how I can move the plant?

+6

I just moved into this house a couple of months ago. We have the bushes that have all sorts of weeds growing through them, and were going to remove them. The past couple weeks though these flowers are blooming. It looks like hibiscus, but I live in northeast PA, I wouldn't think hibiscus is a common wild growing plant. Any idea what these are? Or how to remove them to grow elsewhere? I still want the bushes out to out in a drive way, but I like these flowers!

q plant help
q plant help
  • MaryAnne Tobin MaryAnne Tobin on Sep 03, 2019

this is called Rose of Sharon bushes

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Sep 03, 2019

Yes, they are a type of Hibiscas that survive the cold. Rose of Sharon.

• Hus28129336 Hus28129336 on Sep 03, 2019

Another name for them is Althea

• MGMN MGMN on Sep 03, 2019

Yes, it's Rose of Sharon, and if you don't remove the seed pods before they open you'll have it all over your yard plus.

• Allison Allison on Sep 03, 2019

They are very tolerant of transplanting. If you can keep them watered for the next couple of weeks, just dig them up and put them where you want (they bloom much better in full sun, but will tolerate a good amount of shade). They are hard to kill. They are deciduous and can be trimmed into a hedge, I do this when they are dormant and they grow so lush and full in the spring. The hummingbirds and bees benefit from these flowers, as well. If you have any spent, dried pods on them, toss the seeds with your transplants, they will sprout in the spring.

• Rose of Sharon. Very hardy

• Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Sep 03, 2019

Definitely Rose of Sharon. We have a thicket of this plant along one of our fence rows. Pink and white. I like to cut them and have a bouquet of them on the table, along with many of the wildflowers we have on our property. Very pretty.

• Dee Dee on Jun 08, 2021

I have a few of these that started from one plant. I did not know the colors until they bloomed. After a couple of years the plants became hybrid. The white and purple became pink. They are hardy plants, can be moved. Full sun and partial shade are best for this shrub, meaning it prefers a minimum of 4 hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight each day.

The rose of Sharon bush prefers moist, well-draining soil, although it will tolerate most soil conditions except those that are soggy or extremely dry.