Burn Pile Rescue

$30

This hope chest was minutes away from going on a burn pile!

A friend called to tell me that he had a few things I might be interested in, but the fire was lit and if I wanted anything I'd have to come right over. Luckily I was able to get there in time to rescue a few things.

The hope chest was missing the skirt around the bottom that forms the legs.  It was also missing the knobs on the faux drawers.

I painted the chest with the color, Caviar, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company. Then I made medallions to cover the knob holes using air dry modeling material and molds from Redesign With Prima.

To create the medallions, I pressed the modeling material into one of the designs in the silicon mold. Unlike other air dry clay, this material is soft and pliable and does not need to be conditioned. I used an old credit card to scrape away any excess clay so that the back of the medallion would be flat. I popped them out by bending the mold and set them aside to dry. When the medallions were dry, I painted them with Dixie Belle's metallic paint in the color, Gold Digger. Then I glued the medallions over the holes using E6000 glue.

I painted some little wooden legs with the Gold Digger metallic paint and screwed them onto the bottom of the chest.

I sealed the hope chest with Howdy Doo Hemp Oil.

The lesson... call before you burn! There are plenty of people out there who love to rescue & revive discarded furniture.

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Virginia B