DIY Modern Farmhouse Wall Planter

$10

A quick and easy way to create functional wall decor for any room in your home!

diy modern farmhouse wall planter

I needed to fill some very awkward wall space in one corner of our kitchen, but I just couldn't find anything that I liked or that was in my budget. So I decided to shop my home and eventually our scrap lumber pile to try and make something that fit both requirements!

diy modern farmhouse wall planter

After digging around in my decor stash I eventually found these three galvanized buckets. I had purchased these online last year for another project but never used them.

diy modern farmhouse wall planter

The piece of pine I found needed a bit of stain but it was the perfect size for this project!

diy modern farmhouse wall planter

Normally I'm all for galvanized anything, but not these buckets. They looked glossy and cheap so I decided to paint them. I used a chalk paint and the color was Ink. After the first coat dried I sanded off some spots to make them appear aged and they were ready to hang.

diy modern farmhouse wall planter

To measure I laid each bucket onto the piece of wood even on each side and pre-drilled holes in both the wood and the bucket. Then just screwed each one into place.

diy modern farmhouse wall planter

Then I added two picture hangers on the back and filled each. (The greenery on either side are sweet plants I picked up at Walmart-the center is faux lavender.) My plan is to transplant some herbs from garden in each bucket later this fall.

diy modern farmhouse wall planter

I've seen buckets similar to these at Walmart and Target for less than $3 a piece so if you have any leftover pieces of wood you could easily make this for under $10!

diy modern farmhouse wall planter

Now that awkward wall has functional wall decor and it didn't cost a thing because I already had all of the materials! You can find the full tutorial over on the blog!

CD's CountryLiving

• Gloria Salmanowitz

Do you have to remove buckets to water?

• Shannon

I'm using this super cute idea to grow herbs. Since I'm a bit weird about growing things that we will eat in plastic or metal, I'm using a glass inside each bucket with pea gravel in the bottom for drainage. No leaking as long as I'm careful not to water too much.

• Sandys SYCmail

I love it! I've been envisioning doing something similar in my kitchen - we recently moved out of an apt and back into the old homestead - I'm decorating the kitchen/dining area Farmhouse style, and with roosters, too! I saw something similar to this on Mr Kate and I've been wanting so badly to figure out a way to do it here. Today, I just happened to catch a sale at our Dollar General store - I got 6 small galvanized buckets for 15 cents each!! I was hoping they had 8 of them, but they didn't. So, I just got the 6 and will make them work!!! I will plant basil, rosemary, mint, lavender, and whatever else I can find in them. I use the herbs for cooking. Thanks for sharing!

• CD's CountryLiving

That’s awesome, Sandy!! What a great deal on those buckets!!😀 Good luck with the herbs!! Sound wonderful!!

• Sandys SYCmail

I will try to figure out how to post projects on here - I've got a big frame I'm gonna DIY into a sign over the hanging herb "garden," so hopefully I can figure out how to post both of those projects here and show you how mine turns out :D