Barb Rosen
Barb Rosen
  • Wilmington, DE

Build A Catio ~ a Tiny Screen House for Kitty Cats!

Okay, call us crazy cat people and we'll confess to being guilty as charged! Ever since I saw a few ideas on the internet for making cat enclosures for inside cats to enjoy the outdoors, I have wanted to make one.
Luckily, my husband liked the idea even more than I did! So it was time to build a catio! For $280 in materials, our three housecats can now sniff the breezes, watch the birds and feel like
Shadow enjoying the Catio
Shadow enjoying the Catio
I drew up plans for a simple rectangular structure that would attach to the back of our house. A laundry room window with the screen removed serves as the portal to adventure!
Finished Catio Frame ready for painting.
If you have ever painted pressure treated lumber, you will know it sucks the paint right off the brush! It took as long to paint two coats on the catio as it did to frame it up! Don't forget to also paint wood strips for covering the stapled screen panels.
Painted Catio frame.
Painted Catio frame.
Metal screening was used so it would keep our cat's safe from bugs (and keep insects out of the house!). Our cats don't claw screens. But, if your cat does, weld wire or chicken wire could be used instead.
The finished Catio!
The finished Catio!
Our cats are loving their new outdoors ventures and we have to chase them back inside some nights. (I do close and lock the window when we are away and at night).
build a catio a tiny screen house for kitty cats, decks, diy, patio, pets animals, woodworking projects
See more pictures and construction details on Our Fairfield Home and Garden's blog post by clicking on the link below.
Barb Rosen

• Carol Truman

Looks good! We also made a catio for our furkids. They love it! To keep the bugs from entering the house we ordered a piece of plexiglass from the local plastic shop and had them cut a cat door sized rectangle to which we affixed a cat flap. The plexiglass replaces the screen on the window so no need to remove it winter or summer. We also added a fake grass flooring which can be pulled out and hosed down as needed.

• Barb Rosen

That's wonderful, Carol! We both have some very happy (and very spoiled!) kitties!