Barb Rosen
Barb Rosen
  • Wilmington, DE

Build A Catio ~ a Tiny Screen House for Kitty Cats!

Okay, call us crazy cat people and we'll confess to being guilty as charged! Ever since I saw a few ideas on the internet for making cat enclosures for inside cats to enjoy the outdoors, I have wanted to make one.
Luckily, my husband liked the idea even more than I did! So it was time to build a catio! For $280 in materials, our three housecats can now sniff the breezes, watch the birds and feel like
build a catio a tiny screen house for kitty cats, decks, diy, patio, pets animals, woodworking projects, Shadow enjoying the Catio
Shadow enjoying the Catio
I drew up plans for a simple rectangular structure that would attach to the back of our house. A laundry room window with the screen removed serves as the portal to adventure!
build a catio a tiny screen house for kitty cats, decks, diy, patio, pets animals, woodworking projects, Finished Catio Frame ready for painting
Finished Catio Frame ready for painting.
If you have ever painted pressure treated lumber, you will know it sucks the paint right off the brush! It took as long to paint two coats on the catio as it did to frame it up! Don't forget to also paint wood strips for covering the stapled screen panels.
build a catio a tiny screen house for kitty cats, decks, diy, patio, pets animals, woodworking projects, Painted Catio frame
Painted Catio frame.
Metal screening was used so it would keep our cat's safe from bugs (and keep insects out of the house!). Our cats don't claw screens. But, if your cat does, weld wire or chicken wire could be used instead.
build a catio a tiny screen house for kitty cats, decks, diy, patio, pets animals, woodworking projects, The finished Catio
The finished Catio!
Our cats are loving their new outdoors ventures and we have to chase them back inside some nights. (I do close and lock the window when we are away and at night).
build a catio a tiny screen house for kitty cats, decks, diy, patio, pets animals, woodworking projects
See more pictures and construction details on Our Fairfield Home and Garden's blog post by clicking on the link below.
Barb Rosen

• Itsmemic

SUper for cats to thrive in...but ..do not use regular window screening. Not safe at all for the cats, THEY can claw through it....varmints can eat or tear through it. Hardware cloth is the answer, it's indestructible ! They can climb on it no problem at all. It lasts forever too !

• Bonnie Bowness

Hi Barb,I have never seen such a creation ever.I just love this fantastic idea.What a sweet thing to do for your beautiful babies.Congrats to you and hubbs for a super sweet build.You did a wonderful job!Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your catio. CHEERS!!!!!!

• Barb Rosen

Thanks so much for your nice comments, Bonnie! Our cats adore their catio and it is opened all except for the coldest days. Hope you are able to make one for your kitties, too!