Repurposed Vintage Straw Trivet Wreath

$5

I've always loved vintage straw trivets, the ones with the colorful patterns and designs. They're so fun, and I see them every so often at the thrift stores in my area usually for just 25 cents, but sometimes for up to a dollar.

repurposed vintage straw trivet wreath

They must have made kajillions of these back in the day because there seems to be no end to the color combos and designs that I'm finding.

I've been collecting these for quite a while now, just waiting until I had enough to create a fun wreath.

repurposed vintage straw trivet wreath

Here's the bunch of trivets that I'm using, along with some jute twine, and a homemade wooden wreath form that I picked up at a garage sale for a dollar.

You could use any kind of flat wreath form.

repurposed vintage straw trivet wreath

Just in case the wooden form could be seen between the trivets I decided to cover it with the jute twine.

I glued it in place where I started, wound it around in one continuous piece (how many times I do not know), and glued it in place when I was all the way around.

repurposed vintage straw trivet wreath

So much better. Honestly, jute twine is one of my favorite things.

repurposed vintage straw trivet wreath

Then, using invisible nylon thread I attached my bottom layer by poking the thread through the trivets and tying it around the back.

I chose less colorful trivets for this layer.

repurposed vintage straw trivet wreath

For my top layer I used trivets that were more colorful and interesting, and I attached them with the invisible thread as well.

repurposed vintage straw trivet wreath

And here's my finished wreath. Because I used nylon thread the trivets have not been damaged in any way and this can be taken apart at any time.

To see some close up pics of how I attached the trivets with the nylon thread, and more details too check out my Vintage Straw Trivets Wreath post here on my blog.

Tuula McPhee

• Virginia Long

You did a great job. I look at home talk at least twice a day I probably should be doing some of these ideas. I guess I don't have the time but then again I have time to look at all of the projects that other people do.

• Theresa

Very nice! Good for kitchen wall decoration too!