Asked on Sep 5, 2019

How do I makeover this wool rug?

CarrollJessica GreenBijous
+8

I have this old pink rug which I hate. I prefer a MUCH lighter shade of pink, or another color altogether. I was thinking of using a mop with bleach mixture and mopping the rug with a solution of water and bleach. But I don't know how much bleach to water to use. Thank youLuciana DeVito

q how do i update a wool rug

The 80's called, they want their rug back!

• Gk

Such a pretty rug that looks plush and comfy on the feet. I would NOT try to do anything with bleach because you may totally ruin the rug. If you don't like this rug where it is--either move it to another area of your home and replace the rug with something you'd like or sell the rug and buy another. Amazon often has GREAT deals on large rugs if you do a bit of searching. Check out the Warehouse section. I have purchased some very nice large rugs -10x12 and larger-for way less than I would pay in a store-plus free shipping!

Do not use bleach. It can become blotchy. Damage the fibers and the backing. Also you would need to neutralize the bleaching process or it will not stop.

https://www.hunker.com/13421014/how-to-lighten-the-color-of-carpeting

• Cynthia H

I think trying to bleach it would ruin it.

• Ronda Denny

How about painting it? You can paint sofas and chairs...so why not a rug? Try a small one and see if it works before tackling a big rug...

• Dolly Syrek

My sister in law once had her wall to wall carpet dyed by a professional. Look around there might be some retailers that sell dye for rugs. You have to know the fiber content of the rug, poly, cotton, wool, etc.

• Flipturn

Agree with advice given by Gk and William!

Instead of trying to 'transform' this rug, my suggestion is to sell it on to someone else, then use the money to buy one that you like better. If it is clean, and in good condition, the wool content of the rug should fetch some $.

IMO attempting any diy schemes to alter it will just be inviting a huge mess that cannot be salvaged.

• Bijous

Hi Luciana. It is a solid pink. Use it in your guest bedroom and get something else for your every day living space. There's no DIY that'll change the rug. Also check around. I know Bagdad Carpets (Houston) will trade your rug for another equally or a few dollars out of pocket.

• Jessica Green

I agree about selling the rug, and buying something you like better. That would look lovely in a little girls room. But I see your point about it looking dated in your living room.

• Carroll

Have you tried turning it over? designers do this a lot and the bright colour will be a fainter pink.