How can I make patio furniture covers for a circular sofa set?

+4

I have a fairly large 1/2 circle patio set that I can't find a cover for that will hold up in all Nebraska weather and yet easy to take off and on. I'd like to use it more but taking the cushions on and off are a major effort and leaving them on leaves them exposed to birds and sun fade.

• Emily Emily on Sep 05, 2019

It might be easier to have a cover for the patio and have curtains on that. I don't know how winters are in Nebraska but imagine there is snow. In Maine we really bundle our porch furniture up for the winter.

• Jennifer Jennifer on Sep 05, 2019

I wish I could do that but have a vaulted roof line that partially overhangs the deck. If I have to, I put the furniture in the garage for the winter and really looking for a 3 season cover. If I knew what would be the best fabric, I could possibly make it myself on my sewing machine. I do like your ideas though.

• Emily Emily on Sep 05, 2019

Jennifer, in our area (well all of Maine) there is a store called Marden's. It is surplus and salvage and great deals can be had. They sell outdoor fabrics. But couldn't you sew through tarps? If you order online I think you can get white. The problem with any fabric strong enough to withstand winds is that it might be difficult to sew on, esp when you have complex shapes which I imagine yours are. However there is a solution to every problem and this is a good site for help!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Nov 26, 2019

Vinyl can be sewn fairly easily with a standard sewing machine if you have a teflon presser foot.

Heavier exterior fabrics such as canvas can also be sewn fairly easily if you use quality brand designated denim/jeans needles. Most sewing machines that have a universal mount for the needle will fit up to a size 18 needle, which is very strong.

• Jennifer Jennifer on Nov 26, 2019

Thank you for the information. I think I will give that a try this winter.

• See 1 previous
    • Flipturn Flipturn on Nov 28, 2019

You're welcome.

With a little practice first on some trial seams just to get used to the feel of a heavier needle, you can diy covers fairly easily.

My machine is a 38 yr old Kenmore which is pretty basic compared to the new computerized machines, and I sew thick upholstery and canvas fabrics all the time. Adjust the thread tension and presser foot tension (if your machine has this adjustment) as necessary, and of course, use quality name- brand thread.

To help facilitate sewing over thick seam joins with fewer skipped stitches, you might want to get a notion tool called a Hump Jumper, or a Jean-a-ma-Jig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKdW_vIZLBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2PAsPv6NW4