Asked on Sep 6, 2019

How do I remove grass from pine straw?

Cynthia HAllison

• Cynthia H

Hi Mary! Are you using it as mulch? There are rakes with flexible tines for pine straw.

• Mary Taylor

Yes, and the grass that comes up is the thin skinny stuff. Looks I kept to me. Can you help me?

• Allison

I use a coal shovel, that I sharpen with a file to scalp weeds and grasses. It comes back, so it's a once a month chore, but so easy to accomplish, that I don't mind.

• Cynthia H

Did you put landscape cloth down under the mulch? That's what we have, and even though we get the occasional weeds or grass growing, the roots don't go very deep and they are easy to pull. I know what you mean about it looking unkempt. I walk up to my front door with the whole front yard with mulch and plantings and I end up pulling them as I see them because they aggravate me. I have the chunky black mulch and have never used pine straw. If you aren't familiar with it, landscape cloth is a non woven material that let's the rain through but keeps the weeds from coming through and establishing. The only openings are for the plants you want to grow and then the mulch is on top of the fabric. It has cut way down on weeding as we've redone our flower beds one by one. Don't know if that helps.