Organized Clutter
Organized Clutter
  • International Falls, MN

Does anyone know why my cosmos have started getting small blossoms with short petals?

Tan5227879Organized Clutter360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+8

I don't fertilize them much because I don't want them to flop over. I do deadhead every couple days. The blossoms on the right are fine, but the left blossoms are tiny, almost distorted and have very short petals.
Several of the newer blossoms are very small.  Hardly any petals.
Several of the newer blossoms are very small. Hardly any petals.
Also deformed.  Some petals missing.  I didn't see any bugs.  Should I spray with Ortho Max or Sevin anyway?
Also deformed. Some petals missing. I didn't see any bugs. Should I spray with Ortho Max or Sevin anyway?

Very weird, OC, but when I click on your photo it enlarges to a photo of a door. Anyway, aphids are a possible cause of distorted blossoms. Give your plant a good blast of water and see if that gets rid of them.

• Sheri B

When I did the picture mine did the same thing, got a door. I agree with Douglas, there must be a bug in the flower. do as he says if that does not work then try an organic pest spray. Walmart carries a brand but I don't remember the name.

• Organized Clutter

That door is not even my photo! I will check for aphids.

• Dee W

Ha!-that door is from the "Father's Day gift for my geeky husband" post. Your flowers are very pretty, hope you get this solved.

• Vicki

i love those pink and dark pink colors. i used to have lots of them but no more to come back for years. do not know why. boo hoo.

• Miriam I

That door thing must have been some kind of weird bug (no pun intended). I clicked on the photo and got a flower. Let me know if you still see the door.

• Organized Clutter

I removed the door photo and reposted new ones. I used my ipad for that photo. Not sure what happened.

• Miriam I

That is bizarre! I'll make sure we look into this. Thanks :)

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Try holding one of the flowers over the palm of one hand while tapping the bloom either against the palm or with a pencil. Thrips are another bloom disturber. If it is them, they will fall out of the bloom and onto your hand, they are tiny little critters and will scurry away pretty fast. I couldn't tell from the pictures if there is any spotting discoloration on the leaf blades. Which could be a sign of either the thrips or aphids . Try a good pesticide application for either or.

• Organized Clutter

Thanks!

• Tan5227879

It could be plant virus, so any spaying will help. Just remove infected plants to avoid infection spreading.