Upcycled Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin Light Sign

$10

Halloween is not quite as big in the UK as it is in the US, but we are getting there. In my neighbourhood to let the kids know we are ready to receive Trick-Or-Treaters we put a lighted pumpkin outside the front door. This year I decided to make my light up pumpkin out of neon el wire. This is not the first time I've used the wire I made a fabulous light up neon heart for Valentines (see it here).

The wire was so fun to play with I actually designed 3 different pumpkin signs. This is also a great Halloween craft to do with older children, they will love creating there own light up Halloween designs.

upcycled jack o lantern pumpkin light sign

I had an old chopping board with a handle that was perfect to make this sign with. It was already kind of like a pumpkin shape. It should be easy to pick up one of these in a thrift store.

You will need for this craft orange el wire which you can purchase easily online on eBay or Amazon. Also, you will need about 100 brass panel pins.

For the Jack-O-Lantern sign you will need to draw out a Jack-O-Lantern. Make sure that it will fit onto the chopping board.

Next, cut out the Jack-O-Lantern template and place it on the board. Then draw around it with a chalk pencil.

Next, hammer in the panel pins, following the Jack-O-Lantern pattern. Make sure you have a pin in each corner and space them out about 3cm apart.

Thread the el wire through the hole in to top of the chopping board. Then wrap it around the panel pins. I find it easy start off with the eyes and mouth.

I actually designed 2 other different versions of the pumpkin sign with the el wire, you can see this on the blog link at the end.

All you need to do now is to turn on the lights when it gets dark. I used battery operated el wire so that it was easy to move the pumpkin around.

I think my Jack-O-Lantern looks quite friendly so I don't think he'll be scaring the kids away.

If you love Halloween and crafting for Halloween there is a fabulous collection of free vintage Halloween postcards here.

Claire at Pillarboxblue