No-Sew Burlap Table Runner

$8

This simple table runner is upcycled from a plain piece of burlap to customize it! A no-sew project that can be completed in no-time flat, this rustic table runner would look great on a kitchen table or side board!

Measure out how long your table runner needs to be on your table. It is up to you if you want it to lay flat on the table, hang over a little at the sides, or drape over a lot.

You will start first by making tassels on each end of the table runner. This will require you to unravel some of the burlap on each end. Use the end of a sharp pair of scissors and pull out a horizontal thread. You will need to do this until 5 inches is unraveled. This makes it long enough to wrap and tie a knot in it. Do this on both ends of the table runner.

To create the individual tassels, count 5 strands of thread and bunch it together."

Take the bunch and wrap it around itself to create a knot. 

Pull it tight at the base of the table runner where you stopped unraveling it.

Continue with the other loose strands to make the knots.

Knot all the way across the bottom - and on both sides of the table runner.

Cover your work area against hot glue burns or drips. If you use cardboard, make sure you lift your cloth from time to time so the table runner doesn't stick to the hot glue.

Now you will need to get out your glue gun to glue down the gold leaf ribbon across the edges. You will need to glue each leaf down, one at a time. This is not hard, but requires patience and caution because you are using hot glue. Just put a tiny dot of glue on the back of each leaf, and gently press down until it is in place. It is a good idea to use a Popsicle stick to press the leaves down, to ensure you are not touching the hot glue with your fingers directly.

Glue the leaf ribbon on both sides of the table runner. You need enough ribbon to do that back as well, making this a double sided table runner.

There will be "hot glue spider webs" as I like to call them when you are done. Take a few minutes after the glue is dry to pull off the "spider web" like glue that is left over on and around the leaves.

Display as desired.

This table runner is not machine washable, it is spot clean only. In case of a spill, use a sponge and warm soapy water to clean. If you make this double sided, then you can worry less about stains as you can just flip it over.  

Ann's Entitled Life

• Sunny

Where did you get the burlap? Thanks!

• Jeanne Martin

According to the items needed list it says a burlap runner (not burlap fabric). If you find a burlap runner the longer side edges will be finished (won't unravel). I'm using some burlap fabric and realized those long side edges won't be finished. Burlap unravels so easy on unfinished edges they must be finished! I sew so I'll just hem each side but that part isn't covered in this post. Just a FYI...

• Jeanne Martin

The long edges look finished. Did you do something to finish them so they won't unravel? I've actually gathered everything i need to make one for my dining room table when I realized I'd have to do something on those 2 long side edges because burlap easily unravels. I sew so not a big deal but I am interested in how you dealt with those side edges. Thank you for sharing your project!! I love it!

• Sea Trace Creations

Yes it wasn't mentioned in her instructions how it was purchased with finished edges but the materials list I noted has it correct. As an easy suggestion you can use iron on hemming tape and fold the edges under, iron with the tape sandwiched between burlap layers and you'll have a finished edge.

• Gloria

This is a great project. Using burlap gives it a kind of "farmhouse" look. Using a damp paper towel to press on the leaves prevents burned fingers and the paper towel does not stick!

• Linda Brown

I placed a wide pretty ribbon down the center with leaves on it and lightly hot glided it down. Don’t mind the background mess.