Donna Powell
Donna Powell
  • Seymour, TN

Upcycled Bird Bath

$10

I have wanted a bird bath for my new flowerbed in our garden for some time but wanted something that was interesting, quirky, and definitely something I could DIY myself. Upcycling an old plant stand was just the fun project I was looking for.

upcycled bird bath

I have had this adorable plant stand for years and I love how it looks like a small chair.

upcycled bird bath

A 10" clay saucer fit perfectly in the "seat" of the plant stand chair.

upcycled bird bath

I had actually purchased two clay saucers in different sizes but since the 10" one fit the seat, I decided to make a bird feeder with the second smaller one. The first thing I did was to use Thomas WaterSeal to waterproof all pieces before applying any paint.

upcycled bird bath

Next I spray painted each clay piece in a bright yellow - two coats - and added some flower designs in acrylic paint. I also painted the chair plant stand in the same bright yellow color.

After all the paint dried for a couple of days, I applied two coats of Rust-Oleum's Triple Thick High Gloss Glaze to further seal the pieces for waterproofing.

upcycled bird bath

The end result is a one of a kind bird bath that is both adorable and whimsical for my new garden flowerbed which is still a work in progress but it looks so much better with some bright yellow color.

Donna Powell

• Susan
    Yesterday

That is such a creative and useful idea. But I also didn't see what you did with the actual pots. Did I miss something?

• BarbaraJo
    Yesterday

I love it! Did you do any prep work on the rusty chair before you painted? I have a couple of rusty chairs I would love to makeover. Thank you.

• Ada
    17 hours ago

I wonder if the chemicals in the spray paint will seep through and be harmful to the birds.

• TK
    17 hours ago

I did something similar but put pot plants on the saucers. I’m going to do this for einter😊

• Tracy Carpenter
    7 minutes ago

I have a bar stool. I think I'm gonna try that. That is beautiful