Upcycled Bird Bath

$10

I have wanted a bird bath for my new flowerbed in our garden for some time but wanted something that was interesting, quirky, and definitely something I could DIY myself. Upcycling an old plant stand was just the fun project I was looking for.

I have had this adorable plant stand for years and I love how it looks like a small chair. The frame for this planter is very sturdy and has never rusted over the years. For the birdbath project I really wanted to add a bright pop of color to the garden.

A 10" clay saucer fit perfectly in the "seat" of the plant stand chair. The clay saucer will mimic a seat for the chair while providing a shallow birdbath for the birds.

Waterproof every piece of the project.

I had actually purchased two clay saucers in different sizes but since the 10" one fit the seat, I decided to make a bird feeder with the second smaller 9" one and use a small clay pot as a stand for it.

The first thing I did was to use Thomas WaterSeal to waterproof all pieces before applying any paint.

The smaller bird feeder project painted with the bright pink flower was a good idea in theory but not when you live on a wooded lot with lots of squirrels who get in to every bird feeder I try out.

Spray paint and decorate each clay saucer and seal with glaze.

Next I spray painted each clay piece in a bright yellow - two coats - and added some flower designs in acrylic paint. I also painted the chair plant stand in the same bright yellow color.

After all the paint dried for a couple of days, I applied two coats of Rust-Oleum's Triple Thick High Gloss Glaze to further seal the pieces for waterproofing.

Adorable little birdbath

The end result is a one of a kind bird bath that is both adorable and whimsical for my new garden flowerbed which is still a work in progress but it looks so much better with some bright yellow color.

I still have this birdbath for another year and it has held up well. Of course I pulled it inside for the harsher winter months. A very active rambunctious new puppy in our house got hold of the small pink flower bird feeder off the outdoor table and broke it. That item didn't far too well outside since the squirrels turned it over every day anyway.

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Donna Powell

• Susan

That is such a creative and useful idea. But I also didn't see what you did with the actual pots. Did I miss something?

• BarbaraJo

I love it! Did you do any prep work on the rusty chair before you painted? I have a couple of rusty chairs I would love to makeover. Thank you.

• Ada

I wonder if the chemicals in the spray paint will seep through and be harmful to the birds.

• Cherie

you could put a top coat of food safe resin on it, that should protect your feathered friends