Jeannie M
Jeannie M
  • Highland, IN

We just planted new sod. I'm looking for advice on best practices for success. By the way, we're having a heat wave!

Lynda McBride CloughJeannie MDouglas Hunt
+5

• KMS Woodworks

Green side up and give it plenty of water

• Walter Reeves

It's imperative to first know how much water your system applies in a given time. Here are my suggestions: One inch of water immediately after sod is laid. • Apply enough water daily to prevent the top one inch of soil from drying until sod is rooted to the soil. Gently tug on sod pieces to check rooting. The soil should not be soggy – just moist. Soggy soil leads to root disease. • After sod is rooted, apply one-fourth inch of water every third day for nine days. • Next apply one-half inch of water every fifth day for ten days. • After this establishment period, apply one inch of water per week for the rest of the growing season. • There is no need to water if rainfall supplies the correct amount. (use good judgment on the water amounts listed above. They may differ depending on what time of year you're planting.)

we just planted new sod i m looking for advice on best practices for success by, landscape, outdoor living
  • Jeannie M

Thanks a million for the advice. I'm hoping the temperatures drop below 100 soon. I've put out a small can to collect water.

• KMS Woodworks

Hopefully all of this water will not raise your bill by $500 a month until this grass is established...

To determine how much water your irrigation system is delivering, set out some empty tuna fish cans, let the system run for 15 minutes, measure the water in the can and then multiply by the amount of time needed to deliver the required water.

• Jeannie M

I've put a can out to measure. No rain in sight. Doing a rain dance. Wish me luck!

• Jeannie M

KMS - I'm prepared for the water bill. It will be cheaper than replacing dead sod. Maybe we should have waited until fall.

• Lynda McBride Clough

Soaker hoses help better than sprinkler systems when getting started on your new sod.