How can I clean my hardwood floors and get rid of dog urine odors?

Dog urine has soaked into my hardwood....not sure when it happened...could be a week or 15 years ago. Going to sell the house...is there a fix without redoing the floors?Read lots on line but looking to real people real solutions. Thanks

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 08, 2019

Hi Marcia: I have used a product called Odormute. Pet Supplies Plus used to carry it, but I'm not sure now. You can get it online. You need a product that will change the chemical properties of the urine, or an enzyme eater. Also, Odormute will clean the spot. I have used it for years and have not been disappointed. Even on cat pee stains that were over 16 years old under a carpet, through the padding, in a corner and onto the wooden floor. Never knew the cats were using that area:( AC takes care of a lot of smells. Also cleaned and whitened my son's baseball pants. The cats peed on them and I found out a year later (they were in a box) and the pants came out white and stink free. The stuff seems expensive, but you just use a little bit. It's environmentally safe, you can use it on your pet for skunk smells, and it's made in the USA! Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck with whatever you use.

• See 4 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Dec 02, 2019

That site is an advertisement to buy their product. Not quite what Maria was looking for. Perhaps, instead of having her buy the product, you can just tell her what to do and save her some money :)

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Sep 08, 2019

If it has soaked into the hardwood it needs to have a professional sand and refinish. Maybe he can do it without having to replace but he should be able to give you an idea what to do plus a price.

• See 2 previous
    • Marciaschunemann Marciaschunemann on Sep 09, 2019

We do rescue and foster and no idea which dog did this but irrelevant...we are moving to Florida with tile floors and we can only have 3 dogs at any given time!