How To German Schmear Faux Brick Panels

$100
1 Day

If you are looking for a cheap way to add an accent wall with farmhouse style to your home, you’ll love this DIY brick wall! Follow along on this step by step tutorial to see how to create a faux brick wall and give it a german schmear look.

Step 1: Remove anything on the walls and area in front of wall.

Step 2: Plan out the brick wall panels and cut them down to size if necessary.

You may also need to cut around any outlets on the wall too. For this we marked it on the wall panel with a Sharpie, then used a keyhole saw to make a small hole in one of the corners and then used the jig saw to cut it out. You could also use a circular saw.

Step 3: Cut the brick wall panel seams to fit together like a puzzle with a jig saw. Otherwise the seams are pretty noticeable!

Step 4: Hang brick wall panels.

Step 5: Using a caulk gun, caulk joint between brick wall panels.

Step 6: Apply joint compound to create german schmear finish.

Applying the german schmear is really pretty easy. You just plop the joint compound on to the wall and then scrape it off. 

Then let it dry for several hours before moving on.

Step 7: Wipe of some joint compound with wet rag.

Step 8: Seal with watered down white paint, similar to whitewashing

Focus mostly on the spaces between the bricks to lighten up the orange tone and then lightly brushed the watered down paint over the bricks to seal.

Step 9: Last step to get a real finished off look to the faux brick wall is to trim out the edges and any corners with painted wood trim. 

I’m shocked at just how easy and cheap it was to create this faux brick wall with whitewashed bricks in our laundry room!

If you love this DIY home renovations and want to learn more like it, be sure to check out all of my DIY tutorials in the archives here!

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Joy

I really like it but can't you buy the brick paneling in that color?

• Deb Mahre

HI Joy, I think you're right that the color might be available in panelling, but the German Schmear enhances the texture. It makes the artificial appear more dimensional and realistic. Have a great day.

• Jessica

Great job. Looks amazing.

• Melissa DuPont

I just moved into my new home and I have a large laundry room that is pretty basic! I now have an idea of what to do and where to start !

so thank you so much 🥰🥰