How To German Schmear Faux Brick Panels

$100
1 Day

how to german schmear faux brick panels

If you are looking for a cheap way to add an accent wall with farmhouse style to your home, you’ll love this DIY brick wall! Follow along on this step by step tutorial to see how to create a faux brick wall and give it a german schmear finish.

how to german schmear faux brick panels

Step 1: Remover anything on the walls and area in front of wall.

how to german schmear faux brick panels

Step 2: Plan out the brick wall panels and cut them down to size if necessary.

You may also need to cut around any outlets on the wall too. For this we marked it on the wall panel with a Sharpie, then used a keyhole saw to make a small hole in one of the corners and then used the jig saw to cut it out. 

Step 3: Cut the brick wall panel seams to fit together like a puzzle with a jig saw. Otherwise the seams are pretty noticeable!

how to german schmear faux brick panels

Step 4: Hang brick wall panels.

Step 5: Caulk joint between brick wall panels.

Step 6: Apply joint compound to create german schmear finish.

Applying the german schmear is really pretty easy. You just plop the joint compound on to the wall and then scrape it off. 

Then let it dry for several hours before moving on.

Step 7: Wipe of some joint compound with wet rag.

how to german schmear faux brick panels

Step 8: Seal with watered down white paint.

Focu mostly on the spaces between the bricks to lighten up the orange tone and then lightly brushed the watered down paint over the bricks to seal.

Step 9: Last step to get a real finished off look to the faux brick wall is to trim out the edges and any corners with painted wood trim. 

how to german schmear faux brick panels

I’m shocked at just how easy and cheap it was to create this faux brick wall with whitewashed bricks in our laundry room!

If you love this DIY home renovations and want to learn more like it, be sure to check out all of my DIY tutorials in the archives here!

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Joy

I really like it but can't you buy the brick paneling in that color?

• Deb Mahre

HI Joy, I think you're right that the color might be available in panelling, but the German Schmear enhances the texture. It makes the artificial appear more dimensional and realistic. Have a great day.

• Carol Z

I love the way that looks! Not what I thought it was going to be, with the red brick. Great idea!😀

• Mcgypsy9
    11 minutes ago

I’ve always loved the German schmear look and plan on doing this in my living room very soon. I too have always said to cut them out and lock them together to lose the straight seam. It definitely makes a huge difference. The only thing I would not do is add the trim pieces. To me, it’s a brick wall no matter where it is and no brick wall I’ve ever seen has trim over it. Just my take on it..but it sure is gorgeous!