Beth
Beth
  • College Station, TX
Asked 7 days ago

How can I repurpose a drop leaf table?

Debbie KJewellmartinEliza Spear
+3

I have my mother's 60 year old maple drop leaf table. It is nothing special as vintage or antique. No one in the family wants this table. I would like to use the wood and legs etc to make pieces to share with my brother and sister. Any ideas?

• Emily

How big is the table? If they don't like it as is, why do you think they would like mementos of it? BTW it is vintage. It would be too high for an end table unless you cut the legs. Maybe they would like it as a coffee table, but sounds like you want some for both? Even family members don't always share the same tastes and I would check with them first before going to a great deal of work. (which believe me this would be(

• Gk

Here is a link that shows how to make a beautiful wall shelf out of the top of a drop leaf table: https://www.confessionsofaserialdiyer.com/drop-leaf-repurposed

It looks like a fun project! If you cut the middle section of your drop leaf table in half you could make two shelves! You would also have the legs left to make something else creative!

• Cindy

Hi Beth. I'm Cindy. If you can make the table round again, you could paint the wood and make a very large clock out of it. You can purchase a large clock kit at any craft store or on line for approx $20. Something that big would be a great focal point for a wall in your living room or maybe above a bed? You would need to make sure that it is anchored into the studs in the wall to hang it. Good luck Beth.

• Eliza Spear

My mother’s old table was cut into cutting boards and each of us got one with a plaque attached with our parents life span years on next to their names. It is a very nice momento.

• Jewellmartin

A table with two half moon ends could make two large curio shelf units to display bric-a-brac or collections. Glue or screw on shelves as long as the ends are wide, and as far apart from top to bottom as needed for the intended display items. These were popular in a smaller form in the first half of the 20th century. Sometimes little ladders were attached to go from shelf to shelf, to give the impression of climbing the moon. Sometimes a large round mirror was displayed inside the round arc of the wood. Use heavy duty hangers on the back of the main pieces. The stain was usually very dark or pine, but many were painted white or black. Jewell

• Debbie K
    13 minutes ago

Hi Beth, here's another idea, on using pieces of your drop leaf

https://www.confessionsofaserialdiyer.com/drop-leaf-repurposed/