Gary Hardman
Gary Hardman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springboro, OH

A Blast From the Past Into A Fabulous Bar

$65

So I grew up when TV had three channels watching a black and white TV just like this one. When I found one on line for $25, I grabbed it up and decided to make a bar.

a blast from the past into a fabulous bar

The first thing I did was remove the TV and the glass cover. This probably weighs in at 40 pounds. It was surprisingly easy to remove the TV guts by unscrewing the 4 bolts that held it in place underneath it.

The next task was to sand the wood box. My orbital sander made quick work of it, however the small corners needed hand sanding.

What was missing was the volume and channel control knobs. I ordered several vintage ones on Amazon along with wine stem holders.

I removed the bottom panel (4 screws) where the speaker was mounted, cut a larger hole and added a colorful material to upgrade the look.

The next step was to cut and add a floor and mount a wine rack in the bottom. I also painted the inside with a light green.

I next cut and added a floor for the top shelf. Cut plywood for the back and used spray adhesive to cover the back with material.

I next painted the box with two coats of polyurethane. I added the front panel over the wine rack in the bottom. I added down lights to top and bottom. The last piece was to add the wine stem holders to the top.

This project has been on my bucket list to make for several years. It was a fun challenge that now takes me back to “Howdy Doody”, “The Lone Ranger” and “Rin Tin Tin” It’s also a classy way to serve your favorite beverage.