How to Keep Your Geraniums Over Winter (Its Easy & Frugal)

$10

Geraniums are one of the most popular annual flowers and one of the easiest to grow. Zonal Geraniums (pelargonium) are big and beautiful and can cost anywhere from $3 - $5 a piece for one 4” plant. If you buy a lot of them, that can really add up. Did you know you can overwinter your Geraniums even in colder gardening zones?

I'm in Minnesota (that's Zone 4 in the gardening world) and I've been keeping my Geraniums over winter the past few years. No, you won't have scraggly, ugly plants sitting in your window all winter. This method takes up barely any space at all. Plus, you don't even have to be a Gardener or have a "green thumb" to overwinter Geraniums.

how to keep your geraniums over winter its easy frugal

First, simply pull the geraniums (before frost gets them), shake as much dirt off the roots as possible and lay them out on a newspaper in the sun to dry a bit. We want to leave them in the sun long enough so they are not damp when we store them and so they get moldy.

Once the plants are fairly dry, put them in a paper bag and hang them in your basement, or garage. They need to be in a dark room where temps are between 45 and 55 degrees.

Sometime in the first few weeks of March, pull your geraniums out of storage. Trim all the plants down to about 2 or 3 inches. This is messy, so I like to do this outside if the weather cooperates.

Next, pot up the plants in a good potting mix. I use one with no fertilizer. Once your plants are all potted up, give them a long slow drink. I use a weak mix of water soluble fertilizer in the water.

At first it will look like you're planting dead sticks, but before you know it, you'll start seeing little bits of green popping out and within 3 or 4 weeks, your geraniums will look like this. And, in a few more weeks they'll be blooming.

What do you think? Sounds pretty easy, right. I encourage you to go ahead and try overwintering your Geraniums this Fall.

I have a handy checklist with the instructions that you can print off and keep in your bag of overwintered geraniums that will remind you what to do when you get them out of storage in the spring. You can read more about overwintering Geraniums and get your instruction list here: How to Keep Geraniums Over Winter.

• Potting mix  (amazon)
  • Flower pots with trays  (amazon)
  • Miracle gro fertilizer  (amazon)

Joanna - Gingham Gardens