Patricia Holland
Patricia Holland
  • Atchison, KS
Asked 2 days ago

How can I seal the label on a very old wine bottle to preserve it?

Patricia HollandWilliamDee
+6

I bought a very unique and old bottle of Danish Meade wine, which has never been opened. It’s labels need help to preserve and waterproof them.

q seal very old labels on a wine bottle
  • Thrifted Nest

Hi Patricia! I would use a product like Krylon, Preserve it! It comes in a spray bottle and you spray it like spray paint. It adds a clear gloss protection. I hope this helps!

• Linda Sikut

Hi Patrica,

I agree with Thrifted Nest. I would use a spray clear sealer to seal in the label. Wishing you the best.

• MEG

Beautiful bottle by the way. You could brush ModgePodge on it or a spray sealant found at craft stores.

• Lorraine

I’d get in touch with an antiques dealer, if there is any value on your purchase first, and if so how to preserve it without losing that value.

• Dean Murdaugh

Patricia I make lamps from unique wine bottles. I usually seal/protect the labels with a light coat of poly acrylic.

• Dee

I was going to suggest spray on poly. I would see if the wine has any value. But just because it is old does not automatically give value. I had wine turn sour on me that was in an old unopened bottle.

Yeah. A coat of water based polyurethane should work. Either brush on or spray on. Should not affect the value. There is no way of telling if it's good or bad. It's what a buyer is willing to pay for it. If you plan to sell take it to a reputable auction house that deals with wines and spirits.

• Patricia Holland
    23 minutes ago

My thanks to all of you! I did go out & but jetliner clear protectant/sealer. Can’t do it right now in hot rainy drizzling weather! So I wait!