Asked 4 days ago

How can I remove cigarette odors from a dress?

Eliza SpearTammyWilliam
+1

I purchased a dress from a marketplace individual and when I picked it up..... it smells like an ashtray. I have washed it, soaked it in lysol laundry additive and fab softner... had it hanging outside for a week. Can still smell cigs on it. Any ideas???

• Dee

To get cigarette smell out of clothes, soak your clothes for 1 hour in warm water with 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of baking soda, then wash them as usual. You can also put your smoky clothes in a sealable plastic bag with 1 tablespoon of baking soda or 1-2 dryer sheets per item of clothing.

I bought two NFL jackets I was going to sell on Ebay. I put vinegar in the rinse cycle of my washer and laundered as usual. Once dry they still smelled. I put them in a large garbage bag and sprinkled them with baking soda. I mean two boxes. Sealed the bag and let it sit for at least three days. Then I removed them, dusted off the baking soda as much as I could and washed them with vinegar in the rinse. That did the trick for me.

• Tammy

Did u try washing it normally but add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of baking soda

• Eliza Spear
    27 minutes ago

I would wash with vinegar and then hang outside for as long as it takes. Sunshine and fresh air do wonders