Asked on Sep 10, 2019

Can I remove a layer of paint from cabinets to revert to the original?

BetsyFred EurieckMegan
+1

Looking for your expertise. My kitchen cabinets use to be white. I got tired of the white (probably because I had 4 kids in the house at the time and they were never clean). I painted over the white. Now the kids are gone and I would like to have my white cabinets back. Is there any way I can take off the paint but not damage the white paint Thank you

No. Sanding or stripping will remove all paint. Just prime and paint over what you have.

• Megan

What William said! Just repaint white with a chalk based or mineral based paint. :)

Here is a post on painting cabinets white with chalk paint.

https://letspaintfurniture.com/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-white/

• Fred Eurieck

Too much paint will make your cabinets look old. I suggest stripping them down and starting over. 2 or 3 applications. Keep sanding to a minimum as it will affect the finish look. When you do sand 220 or finer to avoid scratch lines.

Hi Terri: I'd just strip the cabinets and re-prime and repaint. The best stripper I have ever used is Citristrip. You can use it on vertical surfaces. It has a pleasant smell and is non-toxic. Most home improvement stores carry it. If you put too many coats of paint on, or if the surface isn't prepared properly, you will eventually get some chipping and will have to strip it anyway, so you might as well get it over with:) Good luck