How to Make Beautiful Air-dried Clay Leaves

$3

This craft is equally suitable for both kids and adults. The resulting leaves make a gorgeous fall décor accent.

We used air drying clay for this project. It is readily available from craft shops and is not expensive. Air drying clay is not waterproof, so I’d recommend sealing your finished leaves with a coat of varnish or PVA glue if you want to extend their life and be able to wipe them over in the future.

Start by getting outside and collecting a selection of leaves. The one that features in most of these photos is from the Virginia creeper that grows on our house.

Roll the clay out into the thickness you want (We went 3-4mm).

Then placed the leaf on it and rolled it flat into the surface.

Use a knife to cut around the leaf and clay.

Then use tin foil to support the leaf in a gently curved shape ready to leave to dry.

Once safely cradled remove the leaf from the clay, exposing the pattern underneath.

Leave the clay leaves overnight to dry.

Once dry, paint the leaves. You’ll find the paint picks out the detail of the leaves and brings them alive.

You can find lots more simple leaf crafts over on our blog, including decoupaging with fall leaves and decorating candles with pressed leaves.

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Craft Invaders

• Sunny

Love these!! Need to go gather some leaves before they all turn brown! I have some large leaf banana trees, which I think will be perfect! I love the way the paint brings out the details! Thanks!

• Yolanda

I have tried this project and love it. I turned my leaves inwards to create a cradle for T lights and gave them as gifts!! beautiful beautiful.

Yolanda Mascarenhas

Sydney Australia

• Craft Invaders

Using them as T light holders is a brilliant idea Yolanda, I bet they look gorgeous :)