How to Make an Easy Kids Bottle Garden

$5

The kids have been asking to make bottle gardens for ages, so I have been on the lookout for suitable Jars. This week we came across these square ones, which are perfect for what the kids have in mind. I initially suggested that they gathered some moss for the base of their little bottle gardens, but apparently, that’s what grown-ups do in theirs, so I got talked into taking them to the local garden centre for psychedelic gravel instead!

In our kitchen, we have a windowsill on which we collect exciting bits and pieces that we have found. Fossils, bones and bits of bark feature prominently, so this was a perfect opportunity to give some of them a more permanent home.

The kids got to work.

How to Make an Easy Bottle Garden

Using gravel and sand works well, as it allows the kids to try their objects in a few different ways, without their jars getting all messy and them getting frustrated. It’ll also be easy for them to change their layout in the future if they decide to.

Both kids chose one little succulent each. I’m hoping that these will cope with their barren environments reasonably well with just the occasional mist. We did get a good soaking before they got put in.

My daughter’s theme for her bottle garden is Guinea Pig Heaven. It’s not clear from the photos, but there are lots of little gems and beads hidden within her landscape. She is delighted with it, and apparently, the cat isn’t dreaming about eating the small rodent, despite how it may look!

My son’s bottle garden theme is a Beast’s Lair. I should have known this, apparently, from the sizeable fossilised shark tooth (aka beast’s fang), that is stabbing through the little vole skull in the foreground. (Charming, I know! He has a selection of bones he kept from when we  dissected owl pellets). Fool’s gold litters the floor, presumably to lure greedy pirates. My son is equally pleased with his creation, and both bottle gardens have pride of place in their bedrooms.

The kids loved making their terrariums. It’s an excellent activity for a rainy day, and it certainly encouraged their imaginations to kick in.

You can find lots more inspiration for crafting with kids over on our blog, Craft Invaders.

The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Craft Invaders