How to Make an Easy Kids Bottle Garden

$5

The kids have been asking to make bottle gardens for ages, so I have been on the lookout for suitable Jars. This week we came across these square ones, which are perfect for what the kids have in mind. I initially suggested that they gathered some moss for the base of their little bottle gardens, but apparently, that’s what grown-ups do in theirs, so I got talked into taking them to the local garden centre for psychedelic gravel instead!

how to make an easy kids bottle garden

In our kitchen, we have a windowsill on which we collect exciting bits and pieces that we have found. Fossils, bones and bits of bark feature prominently, so this was a perfect opportunity to give some of them a more permanent home.

how to make an easy kids bottle garden

The kids got to work.

How to Make an Easy Bottle Garden

how to make an easy kids bottle garden

Using gravel and sand works well, as it allows the kids to try their objects in a few different ways, without their jars getting all messy and them getting frustrated. It’ll also be easy for them to change their layout in the future if they decide to.

how to make an easy kids bottle garden

Both kids chose one little succulent each. I’m hoping that these will cope with their barren environments reasonably well with just the occasional mist. We did get a good soaking before they got put in.

how to make an easy kids bottle garden

My daughter’s theme for her bottle garden is Guinea Pig Heaven. It’s not clear from the photos, but there are lots of little gems and beads hidden within her landscape. She is delighted with it, and apparently, the cat isn’t dreaming about eating the small rodent, despite how it may look!

how to make an easy kids bottle garden

My son’s bottle garden theme is a Beast’s Lair. I should have known this, apparently, from the sizeable fossilised shark tooth (aka beast’s fang), that is stabbing through the little vole skull in the foreground. (Charming, I know! He has a selection of bones he kept from when we  dissected owl pellets). Fool’s gold litters the floor, presumably to lure greedy pirates. My son is equally pleased with his creation, and both bottle gardens have pride of place in their bedrooms.

how to make an easy kids bottle garden

The kids loved making their terrariums. It’s an excellent activity for a rainy day, and it certainly encouraged their imaginations to kick in.

how to make an easy kids bottle garden

You can find lots more inspiration for crafting with kids over on our blog, Craft Invaders.

Craft Invaders