Faux Brick Wall

$30

This has to be my favorite DIY project I've ever done! I took a pretty blah corner wall in my living room and made it into a focal point. This was a weekend project because of the drying time needed.

BEFORE

Here's the area before I started.

STEP 1- TAPE WALL

STEP 1:This will be the most time consuming part of this project. It took me about 2 hours to do the taping so put on a good Hallmark movie.I wanted my "bricks" to be 7 inches by 3 inches. To start measure down 3 inches from the ceiling. Using a laser level and a yard stick as my guide I made a faint pencil line across the wall (don't worry you will be painting over the wall so it won't show). Using 1/2 inch wide tape run your tape under the pencil line so your brick will be 3 inches wide (if you place your tape on top of the pencil line they will be 2.5 inches)Continue on taping the horizontal lines by measuring from the bottom of the previous piece of tape until the wall is done.For the vertical lines I measured 7 inches across put a piece of tape, then measured 7 inches from the end of that piece of tape. I did this for the first three rows then just mimicked the pattern for the rest of the wall. It’s much easier doing the small vertical pieces of tape and I didn’t need a level to keep them straight.

STEP 2: APPLY JOINT COMPOUND

STEP 2:This is the fun part! Apply joint compound to the entire wall. It's just like icing a cake.

STEP 3: REMOVE TAPE

STEP 3:MESSY! Before the joint compound dries you want to remove the tape. I held a trash bag in one hand and pulled off the tape with the other and threw it in the bag.I let the joint compound dry completely overnight.

STEP 4: ADD TEXTURE

STEP 4:To add some texture to my "grout" lines I dabbed on joint compound using a piece of natural sea sponge.

STEP 5: PAINT ENTIRE WALL

STEP 5:Paint the entire wall with a coat of flat white paint and let dry completely.

STEP 6: ADD DETAIL

STEP 6:Add some detail to make the bricks pop. I dry brushed dark gray acrylic paint over some of the bricks. This step is important because the paint will pick up the detail of the bricks and add depth to give it a more realistic look.*It's up to you as for how much color you want to add to your bricks; feel free to add more gray if you want a darker tone on your bricks!

FINISHED WALL

Here is the finished wall. You can see more of my projects over on my blog.

I love how this wall turned out! No one can believe that it's not really brick when they see it for the first time.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Jennifer Howard| Cottage On Bunker Hill

• Cindy

How did you measure for the vertical lines? I love how it came out!

• Cindy

Oops! I thought I had missed something!

• Fossee Restorations

do you think this would blend well in a master bedroom? want something like this but didnt know how to go about it for a bedroom...

• I’ve seen some faux brick walls in bedrooms as an accent wall and they look so pretty. I’ve seen for bigger spaces that people use sheets of red brick paneling instead of taping and do a similar technique with the joint compound and paint. I bet there are some tutorials on Hometalk that do it with the panels.

• Denise

Could I ‘plaster’ the joint compound over my existing sandstone fireplace wall, then proceed to refresh it using this fake brick method?