How to Make a Window Valance

$35

In trying to glam up my kitchen I wanted a a window treatment that would add style without adding any weight or hindering the light coming in. I decided a valance would be perfect. When I checked out the prices at Joann's for kits...they were $50 BEFORE buying fabric. Umm nope. I was pretty sure i could do it myself or much cheaper. And of course I was right.

how to make a window valance

Here's the before. Certainly not terrible, but it needed a little umph.

Start by measuring your window. Add 2 inches to the width (across the window). Then determine how far down the window you want the valance hang.

Select the fabric you want to use. I used heavy upholstery fabric I got for pennies on the dollar. (Learn the real secret to saving at JoAnn Fabric on my post here!)

how to make a window valance

Now you need to make your frame. I use MDF or similar pine boards at least 25" thick. I used my circular saw to make the cuts.

Assemble using a nail gun to form a U shape. If you use .50" boards you can use a drill and screws to assemble your frame.

how to make a window valance

After you assemble the frame, cover it with thin batten. It's not must, but it gives the valance more dimension.

how to make a window valance

Then staple your fabric and batten to to the board. Be sure to center the fabric if it has a pattern and pull it nice and taught.

how to make a window valance

Add a small strip of scrap wood and a d-ring to the valance. Measure where you want it to hang and that's it.

how to make a window valance

Here's my finished valance. It was very simple to construct. The valance added so much to my 80's kitchen. Check out the transformation to the kitchen here.

Kenyatta Harris

• Judy Pfister

When you hang the valance on the d ring does it hang out from the wall slightly at the top? If not, let me know how you prevent this. Thanks.

• Claire Wells Haug

What is your backsplash? It's beautiful!

• Pat

Is the small piece of board with the d ring attached to the top or sides? How did you attach it?

• Kenyatta Harris

It’s attached to the sides. I used the nail gun. BUT I figured that part out after I had wrapped my fabric. The tiny nail holes get lost in the fabric so on mine it doesn’t show. A better way would be to add it first then add your fabric. You can drill through the fabric to add d rings.