DIY a Cozy Rug Using Pom Poms

$15

Although we’re having a mid September heat wave today, soon enough the temperatures will be getting cooler, and getting out of bed in the morning will be more and more difficult. There’s nothing worse than stepping your feet onto a cold floor first thing in the morning, so I dreamed up the most perfect solution: a fluffy, cozy pom pom rug. I had so many different colors and kinds of yarn taking up space in my craft closet, so I decided to put them to good use!

Watch the video above to see how you can easily make your own, or keep reading for step by step instructions. Enjoy!

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

You will need a good amount of yarn, I probably used about 3-4 skeins total. I used a few different sizes and colors of yarn but this part is totally up to you.

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

You will also need a rug gripper pad. Measure out how big you want your rug to be and cut in a straight line. I originally chose 26 inches, but after realizing how many pom poms I would need to make to accomplish this, I cut off another few inches later on in the process.

diy a cozy rug using pom poms
diy a cozy rug using pom poms
diy a cozy rug using pom poms

There are a couple of different ways to make pom poms. I chose to use a piece of cardboard that I cut off of a box. I wrapped my yarn around the piece of cardboard several times. The more you wrap, the chunkier your pom pom will be. Once you’ve wrapped it as many times as you’d like, cut the yarn, and then cut one extra piece that’s about 6-8 inches long. If you don’t have cardboard, you can also wrap the yarn around your hand. Just be sure not to wrap it too tight, so that it’s still easy to slide off.

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

Slide the yarn carefully off of the cardboard, and lay it on top of the extra piece of yarn that you cut. Tie a knot around the middle of the yarn ball, then flip it over and tie a double knot. Leave the long loose ends on the pom pom because you will be using them later on to secure the pom poms to the pad.

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

Slide your scissors through the loop of yarn on each end and cut across. This will free up the yarn and allow you to trim it until it’s even. The more you trim, the neater the pom pom will be, but don’t drive yourself crazy over this step.

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

As you make your pom poms, it’s a good idea to stop every now and then and add them to your rug pad. This way you can see approximately how many more you will need to make. At this point, I realized that I needed to make a lot of pom poms, so I cut my rug pad to be a little bit smaller. In all, I made about 75 pom poms. A helpful tip is to make a good number of large pom poms and scatter them around, because they fill in a lot of blank space. This project is great to work on here and there in your down time, watch a movie, and make some pom poms!

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

Once you’ve positioned all of your pom poms, it’s time to secure them. The best method that I found was to take the long loose ends of the yarn that were left after tying off the pom pom, and weaving them down into the holes of the rug pad, then back up through another hole. Then, without needing to flip the pad over, you can simply tie a tight double knot with both ends, and snip the excess if you need to. See the video tutorial for a close up of this step. I hid a lot of the end pieces under the pom poms so that if they ever become loose, it will be easy to tighten them up again.

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

Once all of your pom poms are secured tightly to the rug pad, you’re good to go! This is obviously not a rug that you can wash so I would recommend putting it somewhere where it won’t get very dirty or tons of foot traffic. You can shake it out occasionally to get rid of dust or little things that might get caught up in the yarn. I hope you’ll try this out and enjoy this soft and cozy rug. Your feet will be happy that you do! If you like this project and want to see more, visit my  YouTube Channel. Don’t forget to share your DIY photos with me on Instagram or Facebook, I can’t wait to see what you make.

diy a cozy rug using pom poms

• Bubbles

I did this last year. What I learned was to buy a really good rug gripper. Mine ended up very limp. Also some one suggested I put glue in center of each pom to hold them together. Love my rug!

• Jeanette

Put the rug inside a pillow case and close the end with a safety pin and your rug will wash just fine.

• CasualHomeStyle

Very nice! I have lots of pom poms someone gave me, now I know what to do with them.

• Josephine

Yes but couldn’t find the video

• Katie Bookser

Hi Josephine, the video should be right here at the top of the post, but if it's not appearing you can also go to my channel www.youtube.com/katiebookser and it's right on my homepage. Hope that helps!