Asked on Sep 13, 2019

How can I put up a clothes line?

Morgan McBrideTina | Home Tips for WomenGk

• Gk

Hello Joyce! I put up a retractable clothesline that works well for me. It Is attached to a small shed in my yard and I have a hook in a nearby tree that it attaches to! It's perfect for my needs and I can retract the clothes line away when it's not in use. You can buy a single line retractable clothesline or you can buy one with more lines. They are available at Amazon, Home Depot, and Menards. Here is an example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-40-ft-Retractable-Clothesline-72917/206094320

• Tina | Home Tips for Women

Congrats on using a clothes line which is still pretty common in Europe but rarely do I see them in the US (always looking so I can take photos) ... although I remember hanging clothes as a kid, and the line went from our porch to a tree in the backyard.

So I did some digging and found there are lots new clothes line so it really depends on the space you have and the style you want to use.

• Love the rotating clothes lines that look like an upside down umbrella. They require one pole in the ground and rotates so you don't have to move the laundry basket.
    • There are also T-post clothes lines which require 2 or 4 posts in the ground, depending on what you attach the lines to like a fence?
    • Found an interesting retractable clothes line that attaches to your home's siding. This makes sense when you don't have space for a permanent fixture or won't use the clothes line every day.
    • Took forever to find the traditional clothes line pulleys which I know well, attaching one side to the house where you hang the laundry and the other to a tree.

So good luck Joyce, on deciding which approach to use and share back here including photos.

• Tina | Home Tips for Women

PS I found this fun video made in the UK that shows you how easy it is to put a post in the ground for a clothes line. My only added caution is if your ground freezes, you'll want to use a longer support tube to get below the frost line ... so just check what's recommended for deck posts (or mailbox posts) in your area.

• Morgan McBride

You will need 2 things to hook either end of the string to. Trees?