Asked on Sep 13, 2019

How do I blend in the exterior of a garage to bedroom conversion?

DeeDebi53Jane
+7

We are in the process of converting our garage into a bedroom and struggling with the exterior. We can’t find matching brick. We have found some very close in color but not texture. We are considering filling in the small opening where a door used to be with the close brick and then landscaping to camouflage. For the front we are considering a stacked stone( the previous owners had air stone which was okay but we moved the window up and thought real stone may look better). Has anyone dealt with this before. Any ideas or suggestions?

q what to do about garage conversion exterior

Front opening

Side opening. Used to be a door.

Current brick.

• Dmholt4391

You could use the brick from the entry door (if there's enough) to add a row of bricks along of the garage door opening. Then you might incorporate a design change for the house by using matching stone/brick that's in the opening now; maybe under the windows and maybe around the front door, or make columns of it from ground up to roof spaced along the outside walls. Your imagination has no limits. Have fun with it.

• Sharon

I would go with brick in the same size as the rest of the building.... that veneer stone doesnt match. You can get mason's dye to make it match better, but ultimately if you use brick veneer it would match...https://www.dyebrick.com.

• Robyn Garner

I agree with using brick the same size, same size/color grout, etc. Although it won't match exactly, if you do some thoughtful landscaping including something that looks like a natural end to the driveway rather than stopping where the garage door was, it will look wonderful!

• Judy in Canton.

Whatever you use will not match and will look like an add on. Embrace the difference and use a cedar siding.

• Jan Clark

Do you have an HOA that insists the brick look the same? Or are you just wanting everything to match? I would consider this an opportunity to make that exterior pop with something totally different. I do like the airstone/flagstone idea. But you can also go stucco, siding or even something crazy like cedar shingles. Don't limit yourself. Think color and texture that will both compliment your home and make it unique. Remember that landscaping can also work wonders - and it is constantly changing. But most of all enjoy this project. Every obstacle should be a challenge, not an issue. I'm sure you're going to love the end result.

• Jessica VanderVeen

I would say you could either paint all your brick to look the same. Or do something completely different with a nice board and batten siding

• Jane

If only the color is off, you could paint all the brick!

• Debi53

My suggestion: Use brick the exact size and shape, and the stain--not paint--the entire house with solid stain. Stain soaks into the brick and will not peel off like paint will. We stained our brick 10 years ago and it still looks great. By staining the entire house, you can make the new area completely blend in and it will look like your house was always the way it is today. Anything else will always look added on.

• Dee

I agree with using brick the same size, same size/color,,it will be much more pleasing to the eye even if it does not match exactly. You could use dye to try and match the other brick. But then you would have to do the entire wall.