Walter Reeves
Walter Reeves
  • Decatur, GA

Tomato Ripening

Early July starts tomato ripening time. We've all heard of 'vine ripe' flavor but does a tomato have to remain on the vine until it is completely ripe? The answer is no. When a tomato reaches a full size and the fruit becomes a pale green, it begins the ripening process. After the tomato reaches a stage when it's about ½ green and ½ pink, a layer of cells forms across the stem of the tomato- sealing it from
tomato ripening, gardening
tomato ripening, gardening
tomato ripening, gardening

• Jim G

so I learned by accident.... Due to the heat, the tomatoes would not ripen (read that on Hometalk and various searches), BUT what I learned is if I cut the tomatoes and leave some vine and HANG them on my Banana Holder with bananas hanging also, the tomatoes ripen quickly! So I pick them when they are green and hang them inside to ripen! I avoid the concern for bugs, birds or animals getting to them and they ripen, I eat them and then the next few are ready to be picked! (Now my CHERRY tomatoes... they did GREAT!)

• Nancy

I did not know that the tomato did not ripen above 95 degrees. I live where the temp has been up to 106 and I was wondering why they did not get super red. My parents taught me to ripen tomato on the window sill, so I do that.

Question Do rats eat tomatos?