Asked on Sep 14, 2019

How do I clean the mold on my washing machine door?

PatJoy30150932

Clean the mold from my front loading washer

• Joy30150932

Use a vinegar and baking soda solution and then wipe off the residue with a clean cloth and warm water or use a hot rinse with 1 cup of vinegar.

When doing laundry, if you use ONE QUARTER cup vinegar in your softener cup rather than buying softener this will keep your articles soft because the vinegar helps to remove the excess soap and stop the buildup in the door.

• Pat

Always leave your washer door open between loads so that it dries out and no mold will form. Be careful of using vinegar every time in your washer....it is hard on the hoses. I speak from experience by using vinegar as a rinse aid in my dishwasher....ate up the hoses and I had a leak BIG TIME. I think once your mold is cleared up, by leaving the door open to dry out, you shouldn't have any problems.

• Sandy

Thank you.. if the machine is off, our door is open. We do not close it. We have had it for 10+ years and it just started to smell & I noticed the mold under the rubber gasket.

• Pat

If you have left your door open when machine is off, I do not know why it started to smell and there is mold. Sorry. Might try what Joe suggested. I have a clean cycle on my washer and when the light comes on, I pour 1/3 cup chloryx bleach in the bleach compartment and run a normal, empty load. As it works, you can see lots of suds in the washer. After the cycle, I open the door and wipe out the rubber gasket and door....and I open the detergent tray as I usually do after use.