How do I get a cigarette burn out of a granite countertop
There are a couple of ways, Judy.Start with a mold or mildew remover
Use a soft brush, an old toothbrush works in a pinch, and a mold or mildew remover to remove some of the discoloration caused by the burn.
As you should know, marble countertops and bleach do not mix. Most mold or mildew removers found in stores around Nashville will not have enough bleach in them to do any damage, but enough to work on the color in the burn. Be sure that you’re using a low bleach mold or mildew remover before proceeding.
Mix together bleach and water
Start out with mixture that is almost all water. Gradually increased the bleach content until you start to notice the color of the burn disappearing. Do not start out with lots of bleach and a little water, etching will occur and you’ll still have a burn mark.
Try an etch remover paste on the marble countertop burn
Etch remover paste is specially made for polishing marble, and can bring some of the shine back to your marble countertop after using any of the above steps. It will never be like new again, but it can make it unnoticeable to all but your most nosey guests.
The etch remover paste may even help further break down the colors from the burn. Look for it in most hardware stores.
Use sandpaper on the worst burns
Sandpaper is very aggressive, and can damage your countertop worse than the burn. For those with a honed finish, this may not be a big deal as all it will do is take the shine away. Honed finishes don’t have this shine. Start your sanding with an 800 grit and work your way to coarser grades if the 800 doesn’t work.
Seek professional advice if you burn your marble countertop
All of the DIY options above are nice if you’re confident in your ability to do them. For everyone else, try contacting Stone World (serving the Nashville area). A picture sent to them can help sort out your marble countertop burn, with either a DIY or professional advice, and help it look great again.
Hi Judy: This may help. It's similar to Cheryl's answer, but a bit different:
You can't burn Granite. Must be the faux plastic kind so Betsy has the answer.