How to Make a Tiered Tray Decor Block

$5

It's fun to style my little tiered tray for each holiday or season, and I love signs, so I thought I'd create a small sign for my tiered tray decor.

You will need the following items:

2 x 4 wood cut to a 3" x 3" size

Chop Saw (or have the lumber yard cut them for you)

Sander

Free clip art of your choice from Google

Home Printer

Tacky Glue

Paint brush

Course File or Sanding block

Paint is optional

I made my block two sided just for fun, you may or may not want yours to be two sided.

You'll start by cutting your 2 x 4 wood to size. You can use scrap wood or buy new and have the lumber store cut it for you. You will need an approximate 3" x 3" piece of wood.

We used our chop saw to cut our wood to size. Just mark your wood with a pencil line and cut them all at once if you're making more than one. You can make one for every season or holiday!

Using our mouse sander, I smoothed out all the rough edges so the block was easier to handle.

I used my printer to print out my images to a 3-1/2" x 5" size and then trimmed them down with my paper trimmer. I used copy paper for this one, but I've found that card stock works much better if you have it.

Add a generous amount of tacky glue to your wood piece.

With a slightly wet chip brush, smooth the paint all over the flat surface of the wood piece.

Position your print out over the glue area and press and smooth gently until its exactly where you want it. Let the tacky glue dry for about 5 - 10 minutes.

Now using a course file or sanding block, sand off the excess paper you have hanging over the edges.

You can paint your wooden block before you start if you want it a certain color, but I don't recommend you painting the area you are going to be gluing your image to.

Style and enjoy! Thanks for looking!

You can see others I've made by clicking right here.

Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
DeeDee

• MS
    MS

I'd like to see a picture of the "little tiered tray" which was the title of the project.

• Bev
      Bev

The last picture shows her galvanized metal 'tiered tray'.... filled with a fall display of flowers, pumpkins, a ceramic owl...... AND, the wooden block with an adorable scarecrow.

• Vicki Cunningham
    Vicki Cunningham

I must have missed something. How do you cut a 3x3 out of a 2x4?

• Ginger Dotson
      Ginger Dotson

The wood is 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide. You cut the 4 inches down to 3 inches long and 3 inches wide.

• Sally-Charles Evans
    Sally-Charles Evans

I think it is cute! I am also thinking about sealing the blocks with something waterproof (polyurethane) and making coasters out of them!

• Ginger Dotson
    Ginger Dotson

Thank you so much for sharing your talent.

• DeeDee
      DeeDee

Hi Ginger! You're very welcome and thank you for being so kind! :)