How to Make a Tiered Tray Decor Block

$5

It's fun to style my little tiered tray for each holiday or season, and I love signs, so I thought I'd create a small sign for my tiered tray decor.

You will need the following items:

2 x 4 wood cut to a 3" x 3" size

Chop Saw (or have the lumber yard cut them for you)

Sander

Free clip art of your choice from Google

Home Printer

Tacky Glue

Paint brush

Course File or Sanding block

Paint is optional

I made my block two sided just for fun, you may or may not want yours to be two sided.

You'll start by cutting your 2 x 4 wood to size. You can use scrap wood or buy new and have the lumber store cut it for you. You will need an approximate 3" x 3" piece of wood.

We used our chop saw to cut our wood to size. Just mark your wood with a pencil line and cut them all at once if you're making more than one. You can make one for every season or holiday!

Using our mouse sander, I smoothed out all the rough edges so the block was easier to handle.

I used my printer to print out my images to a 3-1/2" x 5" size and then trimmed them down with my paper trimmer. I used copy paper for this one, but I've found that card stock works much better if you have it.

Add a generous amount of tacky glue to your wood piece.

With a slightly wet chip brush, smooth the paint all over the flat surface of the wood piece.

Position your print out over the glue area and press and smooth gently until its exactly where you want it. Let the tacky glue dry for about 5 - 10 minutes.

Now using a course file or sanding block, sand off the excess paper you have hanging over the edges.

You can paint your wooden block before you start if you want it a certain color, but I don't recommend you painting the area you are going to be gluing your image to.

Style and enjoy! Thanks for looking!

You can see others I've made by clicking right here.

DeeDee

• MS

I'd like to see a picture of the "little tiered tray" which was the title of the project.

• Bev

The last picture shows her galvanized metal 'tiered tray'.... filled with a fall display of flowers, pumpkins, a ceramic owl...... AND, the wooden block with an adorable scarecrow.

• Vicki Cunningham

I must have missed something. How do you cut a 3x3 out of a 2x4?

• DeeDee

Hi Vickie! You'll just want to mark your piece of 2 x 4 at 3 inches all the way down (for however many you're making of course) and then cut. You'll end up with a piece of wood that is approximately 3 x 3 inches.

2x4s are not actually 2 inches by 4 inches. When the board is first rough sawn from the log, it is a true 2x4, but the drying process and planing of the board reduces it to the finished 1.5x3.5 size.

• Rynn

The little decorator blocks are adorable. I love that you can create them for any season, and since they are small it will be easy to store. Cute!

• Sally-Charles Evans

I think it is cute! I am also thinking about sealing the blocks with something waterproof (polyurethane) and making coasters out of them!