Asked on Sep 15, 2019

How can I upgrade my 1950’s kitchen on a budget?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomRobin CooperFlipturn
+3

• Marsha
    Marsha

Paint, paint , and more paint! The easiest and cheapest method!

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

Marsha is totally correct!! PAINT is king ...and relatively inexpensive.

• Barbara - design2bhappy.com
    Barbara - design2bhappy.com

Absolutely paint. I did paint my daughter's kitchen cabinets as a temporary bandage, until she can renovate her kitchen. I found that chalk paint worked fabulous and it has held up well. I did a bit more than painting. You can see photos and what I did in my blog. https://design2bhappy.com/you-dont-have-to-live-with-things-you-hate/ Good luck.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Replacing old light fixtures with LED light can give new life and bring brightness to a room easily and quickly. The price of basic LED fixtures has come down greatly in the last couple of years.

I would suggest that you change the light fixtures in the kitchen first before painting, as the color of the paint can be altered with different LED light types.

The last picture shows the inside of an integrated LED flush mount light fixture.

• Robin Cooper
    Robin Cooper

I agree with paint. But you also can add new materials on chairs and new curtains,

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

There are lots of great ideas here for you on giving your kitchen a makeover:

Home and Garden DIY Ideas | Hometalk