Asked on Sep 15, 2019

How do I lengthen a fifth wheel on the hitch side?

Paula LeslieDebbie WieseTinyshoes
+4

Hello, I would like to know if one can safely lengthen a fifth wheel on the hitch side ?

• Why? For what purpose?

• I have never seen this done in my 50+ years of camping and RVing. You must consider turning and backing up. If you build out over the hitch (unless it's a 5th wheel), you run into the problem of the trailer smashing into your tow vehicle when you turn corners or need to wiggle to get into a tight space. It must also be ergonomically engineered weight wise on your hitch. Plus it will be an expensive endeavor to disassemble, build out then reassemble the hitch end of the trailer. You are better off looking for a 5th wheel (with slide outs), to give you the additional space you desire. People unload them all the time, you can get a deal on a used model if you don't want to purchase new. I know a couple instances where one, the husband passed away and the wife downsized to a more manageable size and a second where the husband became ill and they needed to downsize so the wife was comfortable towing and ended up with a modified toy hauler to accommodate the husbands electric wheelchair. If you have money to burn, you can have a custom made trailer through almost any RV manufacturer. My brother and his wife did this and it was a bit more than a standard trailer build, but they have an awesome unit that will last the rest of their camping lives.

• Deb K

Hi Paula, this link might help you

https://www.etrailer.com/question-240996.html

• Tinyshoes

Paula...We purchased a gooseneck with a slide. Husband isn't here...I hope you understand!

• Debbie Wiese

Definitely go to a frame shop. Their experience will be worth volumes when it's done right!

• Paula Leslie

Thank everyone for their suggestions !!