Asked on Sep 15, 2019

How can I treat the mold on the top of my indoor plant soil?

LeAnn Patrick KramerDonnaVimarhonor
+2

Please help me figure out why and how to fix the mold on top of the soil on my indoor plants

1. Scoop away the mold. If you see mold on your soil, it is likely confined to the top layer. ...
    2. Let the soil dry. Once the mold is scooped out, or your plant has been repotted, allow the soil to dry out before watering it again. ...
    3. Add a natural anti-fungal to your soil. ...
    4. Keep the soil clean.

mold growing over the surface of houseplant potting soil is usually a harmless saprophytic fungus. ... Overwatering the plant, poor drainage, and old or contaminated potting soil encourage saprophytic fungus, which feeds on the decaying organic matter in soggy soil

• Jessica VanderVeen

Take away the moldy soil. It's possible you're overwatering, let the plants dry in between waterings so it doesn't give mold a chance to grow back

• Vimarhonor

It may likely be excessive moisture. I have a self watering outdoor patio planter with brown mold under the weed barrier cover.

• Donna

Mix hydrogen peroxide with water in a spray bottle and spray several times a week. About one part hydrogen peroxide to ten parts water. It will eventually kill the mold. Just try to not get much on the plant leaves .

• LeAnn Patrick Kramer

Thank you!