How To Paint A Designer Shed

$50

The problem was that I have a small town garden and I desperately needed a shed for it. No matter how small the shed was going to be you wouldn't miss it! That's when I decided to make the shed a feature so that it would be something fun to look at in the garden. I already had some bright and colourful Marimekko planters (see here) in the garden so I thought I'd paint the shed to match.

Marimekko is a well known Finnish design company famous for their bold and colourful prints and textiles.

how to paint a designer shed

It is so easy to put a shed in your garden now as there are alternatives to a concrete base. I used plastic honycomb tiles filled with gravel for the base of the shed.

how to paint a designer shed

As this was a new shed I was able to paint it before building it. However, you can use the same method to paint an exsisting shed.

how to paint a designer shed

My favourite pattern is called Marimekko Unikko. I had some paper napkins in that design. The pattern was made up of a series of squashed poppies. I drew out 3 different shaped poppies onto a large piece of paper using the paper napkin as a guide. You can download these designs from my blog (link at the end).

how to paint a designer shed

I cut out the poppie designs and then drew around them on the sides of the wooden shed.

how to paint a designer shed

I then painted the outline of these poppies onto the wood. They looked a bit like clouds at this stage.

how to paint a designer shed

Then using the poppy templates I then drew the center of the flowers.

how to paint a designer shed

I then painted the center of the poppies and the stems.

how to paint a designer shed

Next, the final small centers were painted in a darker colour.

how to paint a designer shed

Finally, I finished off the wood shed panels by painting the black background around the painted flowers.

how to paint a designer shed

As my shed was going in the corner of the garden only 2 sides would be visible. So I simply painted the hidden sides of the shed in the background colour.

how to paint a designer shed

I love how the shed turned out. It makes me smile everytime I look out of the kitchen window and see it.

how to paint a designer shed

I had some white paint left so I white washed the inside to brighten it up. The only trouble now is that I'm reluctant to fill the shed with all my junk which was the whole point of having the shed in the first place!

I have loads of crafts and DIYs inspired by Marimekko (Finnish Design) on my blog you can see them here.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Tegma

Wouldn't it be much easier, in this case, to paint the shed first in black and then outline the flowers with chalk or a white paint pen? Looks really nice tho', either way! Thanks for sharing!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Hi thank you, I didn't want the black paint to show through the white paint. That is why I painted the flowers first.

• Lynn

I have a very ugly metal shed that I see from my kitchen window... I want to look out at it and smile!

Any helpful hints on cleaning/painting/priming it before I put on a design? Any suggestions would be helpful.

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

I suggest that you just visit your homestore and see what paints they have suitable for painting a metal shed. I'd hose it down before painting. As long as you get the right paints you should be OK.

• Cheryl

Could you explain more about the base? I understand it to be plastic, like a tarp, then honeycomb tiles, which is really cool and gravel.

The shed comes with a base to set on?

love it, cute for me with problem city yards!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Yes the base is interlocking plastic tiles how many you need depends on the size of your shed. I bought the base separate from the shed from my local home/DIY store.

• Lisa

It's really cute. Thank you for sharing. Building and painting a shed is nothing to sneeze at. It takes planning and hard work. Possible side muscles to. At the end of the day though having pride for your project is a great feeling. Enjoy your new shed. Don't forget shelves if you haven't put any in it. Also make sure you put some type of bug and spider repellent in there. So that way you don't get bit. Spider bites are nasty. Good luck and keep sharing.

• Carolyn

Oh wow another one I like , beautiful