How To Paint A Designer Shed

$50

The problem was that I have a small town garden and I desperately needed a shed for it. No matter how small the shed was going to be you wouldn't miss it! That's when I decided to make the shed a feature so that it would be something fun to look at in the garden. I already had some bright and colourful Marimekko planters (see here) in the garden so I thought I'd paint the shed to match.

Marimekko is a well known Finnish design company famous for their bold and colourful prints and textiles.

It is so easy to put a shed in your garden now as there are alternatives to a concrete base. I used plastic honycomb tiles filled with gravel for the base of the shed.

As this was a new shed I was able to paint it before building it. However, you can use the same method to paint an exsisting shed.

My favourite pattern is called Marimekko Unikko. I had some paper napkins in that design. The pattern was made up of a series of squashed poppies. I drew out 3 different shaped poppies onto a large piece of paper using the paper napkin as a guide. You can download these designs from my blog (link at the end).

I cut out the poppie designs and then drew around them on the sides of the wooden shed.

I then painted the outline of these poppies onto the wood. They looked a bit like clouds at this stage.

Then using the poppy templates I then drew the center of the flowers.

I then painted the center of the poppies and the stems.

Next, the final small centers were painted in a darker colour.

Finally, I finished off the wood shed panels by painting the black background around the painted flowers.

As my shed was going in the corner of the garden only 2 sides would be visible. So I simply painted the hidden sides of the shed in the background colour.

I love how the shed turned out. It makes me smile everytime I look out of the kitchen window and see it.

I had some white paint left so I white washed the inside to brighten it up. The only trouble now is that I'm reluctant to fill the shed with all my junk which was the whole point of having the shed in the first place!

I have loads of crafts and DIYs inspired by Marimekko (Finnish Design) on my blog you can see them here.

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Tegma

Wouldn't it be much easier, in this case, to paint the shed first in black and then outline the flowers with chalk or a white paint pen? Looks really nice tho', either way! Thanks for sharing!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Hi thank you, I didn't want the black paint to show through the white paint. That is why I painted the flowers first.

• Lynn

I have a very ugly metal shed that I see from my kitchen window... I want to look out at it and smile!

Any helpful hints on cleaning/painting/priming it before I put on a design? Any suggestions would be helpful.

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

I suggest that you just visit your homestore and see what paints they have suitable for painting a metal shed. I'd hose it down before painting. As long as you get the right paints you should be OK.

• Cheryl

Could you explain more about the base? I understand it to be plastic, like a tarp, then honeycomb tiles, which is really cool and gravel.

The shed comes with a base to set on?

love it, cute for me with problem city yards!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Yes the base is interlocking plastic tiles how many you need depends on the size of your shed. I bought the base separate from the shed from my local home/DIY store.

• Carolyn from NH

I love happy. It’s how I feel when I look out at my garden, that’s not quite finished, but happy. Nice job 😊

• Pdmkiss

My shed is basic black & white; but it makes happy!