So Fresh so Clean

$30

Sometimes even the most sad looking furniture could become be a statement piece of your home with a little imagination.

Picked up this tallboy dresser from Facebook marketplace and transformed it over the weekend. Here is how

Here is a before picture of the dresser

This is how the dresser looked when I purchased it. Missing knobs, chipped veneer and old finish.

I started with fixing the veneer by using wood filler.

Dresser all sanded down

Scratches

After the dresser was sanded down I still had some tougher areas to address. It has some scratches. Luckily I have a trick to get rid of that and it works really well.

Hot iron and wet towel

By placing a wet towel and hot iron on the dent or scratch for a couple of seconds you can steam out the wood nicely!

Tada! Scrapes all gone

Once the dresser was all cleaned up, sanded (100, 120, 150, 220 grit) it was time to tape up the design. I used frogtape to that.

After the design was taped I stained the dresser with a light stain ( minwax provical) There was no tape applied where the frogtape was, that gave me a 2 toned wood further enhancing the design. I added some white accents.

I used latex paint for the accents.

Applied a waterbased clear coat to protect the wood. Finally added new brass knobs and that took it to the next level. I loved how it turned out.

For more information and other pieces follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai

• Heje

Is it a vintage updated look? It looks so nice! Are you using it for storage or a décor piece.

• Andrea Palmai

Yes it is s vintage updated look. I sold it. She uses it as a dresser.

• Janet Carey

Can I do a light sanding., before the stain application. I would like to change the color of our dining room table to a different color Ebony.

Also is this all I need, or do I need a finish produce on top.

Thanks

• Andrea Palmai

you need to do a full sanding. to make your job easier i would invest in an electric sander. start with a 100 grit and work your way down to 220 (100,120,150,180,220)

then apply stain. you also need a protective clear coat.

polyurethane or polycrylic

• Maude LaFountain

I love it ...it turned out beautiful ...one question though where did you get those rollers you have it on I really need me some of those ....I have never sen them before ......

• Mary McDonald

It’s like Art Deco meets mid century. I love it and a little bit jealous. Great job!

• Cristian

What tool do you use to apply the polyurethane or polycrylic clear coat? The wood looks so fresh with the subtle shine, awesome work!

• Andrea Palmai

I use a big paint brush to cover the biggest area with one stroke brush. Pick an expensive one for this one with lots of hair. Also once you applied dont go over it too many times. Let it dry, be patient. Its somewhat self leveling. You can always apply another clear coat. It's kind of like nail polish