How To Make Fan Wooden Trellis

$5

Wooden trellis comes in various styles, materials and sizes. However, you don’t need to spend a fortune to create an effect. So here I show you how to DIY a fan trellis for £5.

Shared from my blog here: http://thecarpentersdaughter.co.uk/woodworking/diy-wooden-trellis/

Here's my video tutorial on how I made it.

Here’s the side of our garage. We’ve never been happy with the old doorway where the previous owners had bricked it up. And the bricks don’t match in style, or how they’ve been put back.

So I thought it was the perfect place for some fan trellis. Or perhaps, even better, a large door sized piece. However, I got lost in looking for where to buy the right wood for it.

And in the end, I picked up these treated 1.8m long strips from a local fencing business at 85p each.

HOW TO MAKE FAN SHAPED WOODEN TRELLIS

First, I’m going to show you how I made my fan trellis. However, you watch the video on how I made rectangular trellis too.

For a fan shape, I wanted to cover most of the old door way, so I’m measuring the top width of it.

Then I laid out 5 strips with the bottoms gathered together. Next, roughly fanned the top out by eye (for now) to measure out the same width of the door way.

Don’t worry, we’ll get more precise later. We’re just doing this to determine the width of the base strip.

Now go back to the base and push something flat against the edge to straighten up the bottom.

Then I measured the base’s width, added 6cm and cut another strip down to this size with a handsaw. This will give a 3cm overhang either side.

Now time to nail the base strip to the bottom. Here, I’m using a nail gun while wearing ear defenders.

However, I later had to switch to standard nails and a hammer because it was firing blanks intermittently.

You’ll notice I’ve got my trellis on a squared up large sheet of wood. I treated this as a reference guide for accurate measurements.

So above, I’m working out the centre point of the sheet. Then placed my trellis’ base on the very bottom edge.

Now I’m measuring the centre point towards the top, then lining the centre of the middle strip with it.

And here’s where I accurately laid out my fan position, ensuring each strip’s distance was equal.

Now I’ve got my trellis shape, I’m about to work on the top strip. So, I’m measuring about 7cm from the top of the outer strips. This is where my strip will start.

After cutting another strip, (also with a 3cm overlap either side), I’ve lined it up with my pencil marks.

Nail in to place.

Then start measuring the half way distance between each strip and repeat.

And repeat again until to fill the spaces to your desire.

For more information, you can find my original tutorial here: http://thecarpentersdaughter.co.uk/woodworking/diy-wooden-trellis/

Vikkie Lee