How To Put Up A Curtain Pole Batten With Grab Adhesive

$6

Here I show you how you can hang curtains without drilling holes by fixing a curtain pole to a wooden batten. The batten is first glued using Sticks-Like-Sh*t, then the pole is attached to that.

Shared from my blog here: http://thecarpentersdaughter.co.uk/renovations/curtain-pole-batten/

how to put up a curtain pole batten with grab adhesive

Recently we tried drilling our walls to hang a curtain pole. However, we hit the steel lintel and our HSS drill bits didn't cut through.

So instead, I decided to attach a batten with Sticks Like Sh*t grab adhesive which is extremely strong and perfect for the job.

HOW TO PUT UP A CURTAIN POLE WITH A WOODEN BATTEN

First, you’ll need your batten. Mine was 65mm deep and slightly wider than the windows for my curtain pole brackets.

However, I only used off cuts I had for this and didn’t have a strip long enough. So I cut another piece to glue together to get my right length.

If you have one long perfectly straight length, then that’s great! I wasn’t as fussed as I need to use up off cuts and it won’t be at eye level.

So to glue my batten together, I used Bostik’s Fix and Flash which was gifted from an old unpaid craft challenge.

MARK WHERE YOU WANT YOUR POLE BATTEN

If you don’t need to do this, then obviously measuring and marking with a pencil and spirit level as usual is fine. Then do your usual predrilling with a masonry drill bit and use rawl plugs for bricked walls.

If you have plasterboard, then you’ll need strong plasterboard fittings.

But above, I’m measuring where I wanted my pole using a scrap piece of card of half the depth of my batten.

This is because we’d already marked where our pole was going to do due to the length of our curtains. Then drew a straight line from this with a spirit level.

MARK YOUR CENTRE POINT

Now you’ll need to measure and mark the centre point on your batten and one dead centre above your window.

You can see ours in the 2nd picture above.

HAMMER IN TACS

While coving, I learnt a great tip to hammer in tack nails along the pencil line. This was, it’ll prop up the batten for you while the glue sets overnight.

Don’t worry about the holes. You can fill them later when caulking along the bottom of the wood.

Make sure you have 1 tack about every 30cm.

Here it how it looks while propped up before I glued. It may be a good idea to check one more time that your pole will be high or low enough for your curtain.

Why, you ask? Because later I had to raise my brackets slightly the next day and fill in old screw holes.

WILL “STICKS LIKE SH*T” HOLD A CURTAIN POLE?

Now, in case you’re wondering regarding weight, our pole is one of the cheaper B&Q ones and it’s extendable. And because so many people recommended “Sticks Like Sh*t”, I had to try.

Once I applied, it didn’t stick instantly, hence where the tack nails come in handy. It also requires 24 hours to fully cure. But once set, I attempted to push it and it was incredibly tough.

I suspect it sets like a really tough rubber and it holds the curtain pole, including our curtains. I will of course update you if it fails, but I don’t think for one second it’s going anywhere.

HOW TO APPLY “STICKS LIKE SH*T”

It’s not essential to apply Sticks Like Sh*t to both surfaces. It can be applied on painted surfaces too.

Ensure both surfaces are dust free and here’s where I applied in a wiggle fashion from top to bottom.

Then push where you want it and leave to cure for 24 hours. Although I left mine for about 16 and it was good to go.

PAINTING YOUR BATTEN

With my batten being an MDF off cut, you can buy MDF sealer. However, I skipped this step and painted with two coats of the same wall paint instead.

Now it blends in. If you have a primer, then great. But I knew this part wouldn’t be touched or knocked.

Then repeat the same marking and measuring for your curtain pole, then pre drill and screw to the batten.

CAULKING TO FINISH

To help your batten blend in to the wall even more, I used Painters Mate. It’s similar to caulk but is flexible. I thought this was perfect for something glued to the wall.

Apply with a caulking gun and run over with a wet finger or damp cloth.

Then leave it for an hour, then paint over it with your wall paint and that’s it!

For more information, you can find my original tutorial here:

http://thecarpentersdaughter.co.uk/renovations/curtain-pole-batten/

Vikkie Lee

• MADI

Beautiful end result. For Renters is this adhesive easily removed?

• Vikkie Lee

No, I don't recommend it for renters at all. Sticks Like Sh** is so strong, it would probably do damage if you took it down.

• Dj

Thank you for this! I live in a mobile home and as the walls are thinner than a stick home, my walls are messed up from multiple curtain rod hangings. This is going to help me tremendously.

• Kathy Bitzan

I could have used this also as in mobile home my ex did one of his jobs with putting up my rod where there was nothing to grab. So when it fell left a hole in the wall. I should have done it myself. Thanks for sharing a bit late for me but I can sure pass it on. Great idea.