$100 DIY Subway Tile Back Splash Kitchen Project

$100

Give your kitchen a fresh new look with a super affordable back splash! In a recent KITCHEN makeover project I painted my kitchen cabinets, for right around $62 in supplies, and I added a subway tile back splash too! You can do this same project in about 2 days on a weekend! We used the Mini Subway tile Sheets (12X12)

This photo is the before and after, obviously I also painted my kitchen cabinets too along with the back splash project. It was all completed in 2 weekends. NOT 2 weeks but 2 weekends! I got all my supplies at LOWES. Obviously my kitchen is not too large so my cost may vary from your's. But my cost for this project was $100 in materials. (We borrowed some other tools to finish this project) I will add them to the materials list too.

I documented this project in my instagram stories, so I pulled those together and put them in a quick video you can check out on my blog.

https://www.themakersmap.com/backsplash

This is the before, again cabinets not painted yet. The entire wall area that we did was about 4 foot on the left side, on the back wall where the microwave and stove is I believe is about 15 feet, then it wraps around about 5 foot on the right. The height of the area is about 22 inches tall.

This is it completed. Not too bad for a girl with the flu ( I was sick for almost 3 weeks) but when you have a busy life and your house is in the middle of a redo you gotta do what you gotta do.

I hope you have enjoyed this post.

I no longer paint furniture or do many DIY projects but I have lots of them I have documented. and hundreds of how to videos on my facebook page still.

If you are a creative, maker or a hobbyist, I am a full time business coach and I teach people how to grow their following, get more exposure and make more money! You should find me on facebook and follow along. I have tons of free business coaching videos on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/therustynailga (former brick and mortar store owner, furniture painter and DIY'er) My page is Amber Strong now.

The final side by side view! Again for my kitchen this was about $100 in materials. Your cost may vary!

If you have an questions dont hesitate to reach out.

MORE ON MY BLOG

https://www.themakersmap.com/blog

Hope you are inspired to get creative, try out some DIY projects and do awesome things! Amber

Thank you again! Please pass this on and share it with someone. Progress photos are below!!!! 😊

The next few photos will showcase the images I used in my Instagram stories. Again, shame on me for not actually filming or better documenting this project. I was so sick with the flu during this project so I wasnt thinking the clearest

Use the tool to create the peaks for the adhesive. Then lay tile sheets over it.

I found for my space the tip to work best

Lots and lots of spacers and wedges.

More Progress photos, I did not do the super professional cutting of the tile around our outlets, i just jogged around them and would apply the cover to see if the spots were visible and I went with it. Seriously, for me it was not a problem how it looked behind the covers. Be sure to keep your tile sheets level using spacers. We picked up 4 bags of them for a couple bucks each. and we used the wedges to lift up off the counter too. Also. to remove the tiles as we went around outlets we just used a box cutter to cut the glue tabs.

Like I said I didn't worry about the perfect cuts

See not noticed at all.

I let the adhesive sit over night. Honestly it says a couple hours but I was sick with the flu and needed to rest so I started grout the next day. I used the premixed. It was easy to use but a pain because you must push it in each and every groove! PUSH IT IN and just keep packing it. I allowed the grout to sit for a few then wiped away with a sponge I got tired of that so I grabbed a kitchen dish towel to wipe back and rinse it out. There is really no wrong way to do this!

Not shown was the long strips of tile we used to trim out.

This part takes some muscle!!!

Push that stuff in every open area.

Let sit and then wipe away

Left side if looking towards back

Right Side if looking towards back

Back wall straight on

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Amber Strong

• Diane
    Diane

Was this the real tile or peel snd stick? When I clicked on your link gor tile it took me to peel and stick subway tile. This confused me because I thought you only had to stick those up and it already has grout. Please email me at palmertravel@att . Net love love your project and my kitchen is almost identical but my sink is where your oven is.

• Amber Strong
      Amber Strong

It's real tile. Unfortunately I don't get to decide what items hometalk populates for supplies. I used the 12x12 subway TILE sheets from Lowe's it's real tile

• Andrea Peterson
    Andrea Peterson

Can you please tell me where you purchased your tile. Thanks so much!!!

• Tanya Neelon
    Tanya Neelon

what paint did you use for the cabinets? Great job overall!!!

Tanya