Becky
Becky
  • Bella Vista, AR
Asked on Sep 17, 2019

How can I paint gray concrete lain with stones before applying sealer?

BetsyKmdreamerCher @ Designs By Studio C
+5

How can I paint the concrete in between the stones - before the sealer is applied??

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Becky, sorry your concrete was not painted like you wanted it. Hope this helps you. How to Paint Concrete: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Concrete

Nov 10, 2010 · Preparing the Concrete. 1. Clean the concrete surface with soap and warm water, removing any old paint. First, sweep away any surface leaves, debris, and dirt. Then remove any existing paint or gunk using a power washer or scraper and wire brush. Scrub away any dirt, grime, or gunk that is stuck to the concrete.

• 92%(13)

Peggy's suggestion is for paint concrete slab. Clean or rinse with a garden hose. Let dry. Use a floor and porch enamel or a masonry paint.

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Becky!

Behr (from Home Depot) makes concrete stain that can be tinted in a variety of colors. You should be able to use a brush to color the concrete prior to sealing but try it in an inconspicuous area first! I hope this helps!

• Kmdreamer

Use a brush or put it in the cement before you grout

• Becky

Thank you for your time and yes that is what was suppose to be done - communication, communication :)

Hi Becky: Are you talking about painting the mortar? If so, here is a site that may help:

https://www.ehow.com/how_7655060_paint-mortar.html

Its going to be a little tricky - being that both the brick and the morter are very poures. The best thing to do is "repointing" the old morter - which involves just applying new morter over the top of the existing. That can get messy though.

I reccomend BEHR's Masonary paint - matched to a color that you like.

With a small 1inch angled brush carefuly paint the spaces between the brick - paying close attention to keeping it off the brick.

Good luck

• Becky

Yes, I should have said mortar not concrete - there are some wide spacing between the large pieces of stone that make the patio and in other spots their are small spaces. I really do not want the gray color of the mortar. We were scammed on the build of a Koi Pond and Stone Patio. The gentleman who has done the repair and rebuild resulted in a fantastic job - but the mortar was not tinted as the portion already layed - which was not tinted as agreed upon either. This would be a massive project to take on but thinking if I wait for the extreme hot temperatures to cease - maybe I could get it done in a week - quesstimate of a 25' x 30' area. Concern if weather would hold up to cure - so this gentleman's team could come back and seal.

Hey Becky: Man, look at my spelling and grammar! What was I thinking? :) Anyway, you may be able to have the guy who did it, fix it, if it wasn't that long ago. If the agreement was in writing as to the tinting, you may have a case. I don't know what the statute of limitations is in your area, but you can check with the court and sue him if the statute hasn't run. If you don't want to make a fuss, or he won't do it,m once he's done with the other stuff, you can make a complaint with the BBB. I'd send texts to him so you can have everything in writing. I wouldn't recommend putting new mortar over the existing mortar as it will fill up the indentions and may not stick, so the re-tinting would be the best way to go, whether you do it or they do it. Good luck