Valerie Vowles
Valerie Vowles
  • Saint George, UT
Asked on Sep 18, 2019

Can I paint over wallpaper?

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAJessica VanderVeenMichelle James
+1

• Bushra

Hi Valerie, Yes you can totally paint over the wall paper, just make sure if it's very large print then use primer before the paint. I have painted over the wallpaper and it did last long. Hope it helps!

Bushra

• Michelle James

Hi! I agree with Bushra but also make sure the wallpaper is adhered to the wall really well. You don't want it peeling off and bringing the paint with it. Have fun!

• Jessica VanderVeen

Yes it can be done. I would prime the wallpaper first. The best way though is to remove the wallpaper and start fresh.

• And I am in the "never ever do this" camp. I have had to remove wallpaper that had been painted over, it was a bloody nightmare. If you proceed, then years down the line it needs removing, you have been forewarned. I would remove the wallpaper, clean, dry, prime then paint. You will end up with a much more professional look.