Asked on Sep 18, 2019

How do I mix and match metal hardware in a kitchen?

AnnieMorgan McBrideJessica VanderVeen
+1

I know this is all personal preference, but … I am stressing over it!!! I have a polished nickel pendant light over my sink, my faucets is polished nickel as well. I am using a cream color on the walls (shiplap), a distressed bone tile for backsplash. The one upper cabinet will be the same color as the walls, the lower cabinets a soft light to medium gray. This room gets almost no natural light, one north facing window. I haven't decided on the metal for the island light nor the hardware for cabinets. Would it look too "busy" if the upper cabinet hardware was oil rubbed bronze and the island light the same? Then the lower cabinets having the polished nickel hardware? Worried it will look too mismatched … I need decorating help!!!!! The light pendant has a white globe..

• Jessica VanderVeen

It sounds like you're doing a lot of light neutrals in the kitchen, so that sounds great and not too busy at all. When you mix metals, it's a good idea to have 3 of the same metal in the room. So if you have ORB on the island and hardware, then nickel hardware for the faucet I think that would be okay. You could maybe add an ORB curtain rod in the room, or a brushed nickel fruit bowl to tie everything together.

• Morgan McBride

My rule of thumb is to have at least 3 instances of each metal. This makes it seem intentional.

• Morgan McBride

Adding that if you need more of a certain metal you could add an accessory - frame, wall clock, jar, vase, etc

• Annie

I think it will look quite beautiful, your whole kitchen sounds like it is going to be very nice! Try it and see if you do like it long term; otherwise you can always change it out later