Asked on Sep 18, 2019

Can I convert an old washtub into a fire pit?

RedcatcecAnnieNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA

Do I have to put rocks and dirt around my fire pit I have an old washtub I want to turn it into a fire pit can I do that

• You should have either bare dirt or gravel around the pit just for safety reasons. I would clear the area at least 3 to 6 feet around the tub. Just depends if you want a nice little fire or a ranging bonfire. Safety first. Always have buckets of water, a garden hose or a fire extinguisher ready and handy.

• Annie

I would put some type of safety barrier around it and if you can enough rocks for free, you could make it look great!

• Redcatcec

The area around the fire pit should be completly non-flammable, at least a minimum of a yard to even further out. Make sure there is no dead grass, leaves, weeds near the fire pit.

To keep it even safer, be near a water supply whether you have to carry it or be plumbed for it.