DIY Fall Wood Bead Garland

$10

Fall is my favorite season. I absolutely love everything about it, from the crisp sunny days to the beautiful colors of the leaves turning . It is also the time my house looks the coziest. I love to add fall colors everywhere–inside and outside. Check out my post, The Easy Way to Create a Beautiful Fall Planter to see how to bring a touch of fall to YOUR outdoor space. Wood bead garland is all over the place right now, but I really wanted one that was fall-ish (is that a word?) , so I decided to make my own.

diy fall wood bead garland

Here Is what you'll need:

diy fall wood bead garland
  • 10mm wood beads (I used about 60)
  • acrylic or chalk paint
  • twine
  • paper towels/scissors
  • glue gun
  • some sort of trinket--I found the pumpkins at Joanns
  • other for painting beads--toothpicks & measuring cup
diy fall wood bead garland

First I needed to make my beads orange and brown. To do this, I mixed the paint with a bit of water in a small cup. Watering down the paint allowed some of the wood to still show through, which was the look I wanted. I added about a tablespoon of paint with about 2 teaspoons of water and swirled it around.

diy fall wood bead garland

Next I put some wood beads into the paint mixture and let them sit for a couple minutes. I used a toothpick to fish them out, letting them dry on a paper towel.

diy fall wood bead garland

While the beads were drying, I took a piece of twine and cut it about two feet. I then cut each end at a diagonal, put a dollop of hot glue on both the tips, and squeezed it to make a pointy tip to make it easier to thread through the beads. 

Next, I made a tassel at one end. To do this I did the following:

diy fall wood bead garland
  1. Wrap the twine around your hand about 12-15 times, then remove it and cut it from the spool. Set aside.
  2. Take your bead string and thread one bead onto the twine, then feed the bead string through the middle of the bundle of twine.
  3. Feed the opposite end of the bead string back through the bead. I ended up having to use a beading needle for this, but maybe a toothpick would do. 
  4. It should now look like figure 4.
diy fall wood bead garland

5. Tie a knot above the bead. Cut the bottom of the bundle of twine. 

6. Take another piece of twine (about 6″) and wrap it around the bundle, close to the bead end. Tie it and secure it with a bit of hot glue. Cut off the leftover ends.

7. There’s your tassel.

diy fall wood bead garland

Once I used all my beads, I tied a knot to secure the end, cut off the extra twine and hot glued a small wooden pumpkin to the end of it.

The bead portion of my garland ended up being about 22″ long.

diy fall wood bead garland

To see more fall DIY ideas, check out my blog HERE.

Pamela - DIY vibes

• Dee

How do you keep the paint from running off and sticking to the paper towel while they dry? Does the side on the towel keep paint on it?

• Pamela - DIY vibes

The paint is watered down enough that it's getting "stained" with the paint instead of having an actual coat on it. I didn't have a problem at all. See how there's a puddle around the bead? I purposefully placed them on their ends in case that side got lighter--it'd be pressed against another bead so it wouldn't show. Hope this helps!

• Sandra Allen

I too love fall the most. And these are just adorable! Wouldn't they look great as a necklace! Thanks so much for sharing.

• Kara

Love it! Think I'll make these for fall tiebacks for my canvas drapes. Thank you.