Asked on Sep 19, 2019

How can I clean thick rust off of laminate flooring?

CindyLinda SikutDee
+1

Water leaked under a metal cabinet which i was unaware of and a year later I'm moving the cabinet and see thick rust.

Hi Debbor: Here are a couple of things you can try:

Make a paste of water and Barkeepers Friend. Let this sit on the rust, but don't scrub. After about an hour, wipe an area to see if it's done working. If not, let it sit a bit longer.

Or, Spread a thin layer of baking soda over the rust stain. Wet a rag with vinegar and rub over the stained surface. Rinse with water and repeat until the stain has faded away. Make one final rinse and wipe with clean water.

Good luck

• Dee

Rustoleum makes a great rust remover.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Debbor,

Here's what I think is an interesting article about rust on laminate plus what works and what doesn't. There are several ideas here - both store bought and homemade for removing rust stains. If one method doesn't do the job, there are several options. I hope this helps you remove that stain! Wishing you the best.

https://www.professorshouse.com/how-to-remove-rust-stains-from-laminated-wood-flooring/

• Cindy

Hi Debbor. I'm Cindy. Make a paste with salt and lemon juice. Spread the paste over the rust stain. Then walk away. Wait at least one hour and then wipe it up. From the sound of it, you may need to repeat multiple times. Good luck Debbor.