Off Brand Chalk Paint - Chair Makeover

$6

I was tired of seeing chair makeovers with materials that people can’t really afford to buy. I should move over to the group of folks who only DIYOAB (D I Y On A Budget).

No offense to the Annie Sloan fans, but I have not yet talked myself into spending $35 on a can of paint.

This is chair was found on the curb, so FREEEE-yaaayyyy! And needed some love.

Little ugly right?

Well not for long..

If you’ve searched for chalk paint on Amazon you’ve probably seen the brand Folk Art. I can’t say enough good things about them.

So onto the instructions:

First I looked for online inspirations, accent chairs are very popular right now. I found this one called McKenna Chair for a mere $399

Once I settled on the style, I sprayed the chair fabric with water.

Then I used a chalk paint brush to paint, going in every direction, almost like rubbing it in as hard as I could to make it penetrate.

Once it it dried I did a second coat. And had this...

I used an antique stain on the arms and legs.. clear wax on the fabric. (But only wax seal the fabric after the stripes are done)

Then I started taping with masking tape for the stripes, o chose a gray color and mixed it on with the wax. So the paint and wax would go as one..

I kinda liked the contrast of the tape and chair color 😍

but moving on....

I also loved these two colors together.

😍😍

Final product! I’m so happy with the results.

The paint did not disappoint at all. Some of my friends said it would not compare to the quality of the AS paint, also, I needed so little paint for this, a little bit goes a long way. Which means I still have paint for more projects.

I posted the steps in videos on my stories if you want to go and watch.

https://www.instagram.com/sammy_pampani/

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas

• Lisa

I was also wondering if this was a fabric chair and if it became stiff and not desirable to be able to sit on. Also, does the paint wear off if the chair is actually used?

• Sammy Pampani

From every other testimony of people who’ve done this, the chair is doesn’t wear off.

when the paint dried at first there was some light stiffness, after I waxed it, it became soft, with more use and wear it becomes softer. I’m loving it.

• Lin1263925

What was the material of the chair

• Sue
      3 minutes ago

This is totally super! A discarded chair that was rescued by someone who saw a some life and love still in it and look at the treasure you have! Gorgeous! I have used Folk Paint for years but never knew it would fill in for chalk paint which I don't buy due to the cost so thanks for that tip also!

• Debbie Driver Hayhurst

What type of wax are you talking about, I'd like to try this and will watch your tutorial, but just wonder when the wax goes on and how?

• Sammy Pampani

I used clear chalk paint wax. You can use any brand and a little bit goes a long way.

Wax is the last step, but I mixed wax with paint for my stripes because I wanted the paint to be thicker and not run underneath the tape.

The wax will protect the paint from getting faded in a case of a spill or something, it’ll also make any fabric softer which is awesome.

• Debra McMenamin

Beautiful transformation!

• Kathy

Beautiful job. I also found a chair almost like this free on the curb. I hope to do something similar to yours.