Asked on Sep 20, 2019

How can I build a sturdy but inexpensive roof over my deck?

Judy in Canton.Linda SikutCheryl A
+1

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas if you can't afford to build a roof over your deck what else would work? We live in missouri so we get all 4 seasons any help will be appreciated Thank you Tee

• Gk

Depending on the size of your deck you could add a lean to type of roof that is attached to your house. Something similar to what I have pictured. You could eliminate the screens/door as shown in the picture. It is hard to add a roof to an existing deck inexpensively.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Tee,

First you have to make sure that your local building codes allow you to add a roof to an existing deck. You might wonder why, I know that I wondered about that myself. The reason is that decks that aren't originally built to have a roof may not be able to handle the weight of the roof (and the snow that builds up on it in the winter). That means that it could come crashing down so it's a safety code, among other things. Here's an article that explains that issue and what might be done to fix it, but it doesn't sound like it will be inexpensive. :( Wishing you the best.

https://www.decks.com/how-to/475/how-to-build-a-roof-over-a-deck

• Judy in Canton.

I agree with Linda that you should check the codes. Some ideas for a light weight cover would be fiberglass panels( they come in colors) lattice panels or tarps. If you grill on your deck- don't cover it. We enclosed a second level deck but had professionals who added extra posts for sturdiness and left a section open for grilling.Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy your deck.