Asked on Sep 20, 2019

How can I make over this armoire?

Agnes ChrzanowskaSue@CountryDesignHomeHolly Lengner - Lost Mom
+7

I need ideas to redo this piece it was my grandmas

q i need ideas
q i need ideas
  • Gk

I chalk painted a cabinet/dresser similar to this in a dark charcoal but I left the top wood. You could also spray paint the hardware. It looks very nice!

• Em

Chalk paint is the way to go without the headache of stripping. Pick a color, paint at least two coats, then use antiquing wax VERY sparingly. Get it at the same place you buy the chalk paint, it should be right next to it. Practice on an old piece of furniture or wood first, because once your put too much of the wax on it is VERY hard to remove and spread. Just super tiny touches then buff like crazy.

• Jan Clark

Its beautiful! What's your style? Do you want this to be "all yours" or remind you of your grandma? If you like wood, then don't paint it - strip and re-stain in a color that goes with your home. There are lots of options now for some really easy stripping of the varnish and gel coat stains come in lots of colors. You could even do a two-tone. Other than that, hardware will bring it a new life. Try to find pulls that will fit in the original holes so you don't have to fill and drill. Give yourself a bit of time to figure out what will work best. No sense in hurrying through a project and not love it when you're done.

• Stacey Keeler

i have my 1st grandson on the way was thinking is something for him maybe gray color keeping this in my home was thinking of taking door off but not sure yet

• Abbey

I always prefer wood over paint, personally. But gray could freshen it and make it more "kid". I would be wary of taking the door off - from experience I know that kids think shelves are just like ladders, and will try to climb them! Good luck.

• Abby and Matt

If it's for your grandson you could paint it grey and do neat fun nobs like gold dinosaurs or sport balls!

• Jeanne

Stacey, I love your beautiful piece of furniture and think it would be an amazing piece to use for your grandson! Instead of taking the door off, maybe you could just remove the mirror, or even just leave the mirror and stick something over it. You could use fabric that might match his bedding in his room, or you could maybe chalk paint inside the wood that edges the mirror and then decorate inside the edges of the circle with a cute saying or pictures for babies and little children.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

What a great piece to pass on in the family. Here are some armoire makeovers to inspire you... I think a light grey would be a great color for this!

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=armoire%20makeover

• Sue@CountryDesignHome

What a nice piece! It would look great painted-depending on the color of your grandbaby's room (if you have a dedicated space : ) Chalk paint is great-I do think with that shiny finish you will need to sand a bit. I don't use wax anymore- my favorite finish is General Finishes Flat Out Flat Acrylic Coating. Leaves a slightly glowing, strong durable surface. I typically leave the tops of furniture alone for a bit of contrast and less paint scratching. Babies love to look at themselves in the mirror- so that door would be perfect! You could use the inside shelves for books and toys. Good luck with the furniture and your new grandbaby- they're the best!

• Agnes Chrzanowska

what a beautiful piece of furniture! I would use chalk paint and do some decoupage. Check that pin https://www.pinterest.com/pin/187180928240010115/